Gas Mileage Changes After Cam Phaser Recall Performed

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Terry

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I haven't seen any change from this time period last year, so for me there isn't any difference. I will say that there is a very good phone app called Fuelly that makes it easy to keep track of fuel and maintenance cost for your vehicles. I enter the latest mileage in the phone app, the total cost and the quantity pumped and the app calculates the mileage. It keeps the records on the phone and you can go back to any date a look at the mileage or the service performed. It's one of the best apps I have and records data for any number of vehicles you may own. Try the app and you'll know your hand calculated mileage for every fuel up.

isis

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't discount the validity of what everyone is saying. But there has been a clear difference from immediately pre-recall to immediately post-recall on the mpg reported by the trip odometer. And I gave it three tanks from three different gas stations to see if it was the quality of the gas. Either something is different on the truck's end, or somehow my daily habits and usual gas stations have created a consistently different result, which I find unlikely. Not impossible. But not probable.
I’m in the same boat. Getting about 14.5 instead of 15.8ish.

hekster1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just picked up my 2018 on Thursday 2/24/22. They did the Cam Phaser Recall. I have to keep an eye on it. Commuting to work and weekend city driving I got 15-15.5. I’ll chime in in future posts…

MRV99

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I track my total mileage vs mpg. I say average 450 per tank. When I am highway cruising, it ends up closer to 500, when I am in town or snow thrashing, that may drop under 400.

Rhebbles

Reaction score
That's fair. I don't have consistent hand-calc data. But from about a year ago (prior to the recall) I know that the trip odometer routinely reports about 15.0 mpg for me under normal daily driving conditions, and I calculated about 14mpg when I did the math at a pump. So my impression is that the trip odometer was usually 1mpg optimistic.

Currently, after the recall, it is consistently reporting about 14.0 on the trip odometer. I don't yet have hand-calc data for actual mileage. I suppose that is the next step. I'm wondering if anyone else has noticed this after the recall.
i was just reading random threads and this one caught my attention as i noticed the same thing. before the cam phaser "fix" i was averaging something like 17.2 due to 90% hwy use, 10% offroad thrashing. now its showing 15?

last summer during a cross country drive, we actually got 702 miles on 1 tank; the conditions were literally perfect the entire day & i feathered the hell out of the peddle. it read 19.x mpg and was about spot on.

anyway now im seeing the guage read out a consistent 15.2-15.7 and full tank reads out usually around 540... as of yet i havent had a chance to test its range in similar conditions with a full tank to compare...but point is, ive noticed a difference as well. btw, everything is 100% oem.

once i get the motor and turbos checked, replace any gaskets, worn parts etc (@80k) it'll be getting a flex fuel kit. anybody running flex fuel setup while maintaining warranty?...
its not to bust out a 600whp tune or anything, just want to have the option of using something better than our shit91 0ct and especially now tht 91 was nearing $7 while e85 is at $3 here in socali.

Terry

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have not noticed any change in the truck from before the update. It starts, shifts and gets the same fuel mileage as before the update was installed. Others may have different results.

Blkshp18

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I recently had my cam phasers replaced and my Raptor feels sluggish. I’ve also noticed that my radiator fans are on more often