Gas Mileage Changes After Cam Phaser Recall Performed

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DINOZR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
After the cam phaser recall and associated PCM reprogram my 2019 is consistently reporting about 1-1.5mpg less than before the reprogram. Now before everyone screams at once:
I know the number reported by the trip odometer isn't accurate, and is optimistic. I understand there is a calibration setting in the dash settings where you can change this to make it accurate to what you measure at the pump. My issue isn't accuracy. My issue is that the truck is reporting significantly less mpg and seemingly nothing changed except the cam phaser recall was performed.

The engine performs as well as it ever has. I have no outward indication there is a problem. Did the mpg calibration get adjusted during the PCM reprogram of the recall? Or is there something actually amiss here. If you told me that the calibration is just accurate now and I was always getting that mileage, then I'd believe that, and I'm okay with that. I just want to figure out if that's the case or if something is really causing less efficiency in my powertrain.

goblues38

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Keep in mind, most gas companies switch their blend in the winter to add more ethanol. Less MPG is a side effect.

WINTER GASOLINE​

In winter, gasoline blends have a higher Reid vapor pressure, meaning they evaporate more easily and allow gasoline to ignite more easily to start your car in cold temperatures. This blend is cheaper to produce, which results in lower gas prices at the pumps from late September through late April.

tooloud10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The battery would have been unhooked and the PCM reset as part of the repair. I understand the question about why it's reporting differently, but unfortunately there's really no response that will be all that useful if you don't have hand-calc'ed data from before the repair.

OP
OP
DINOZR

DINOZR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The battery would have been unhooked and the PCM reset as part of the repair. I understand the question about why it's reporting differently, but unfortunately there's really no response that will be all that useful if you don't have hand-calc'ed data from before the repair.
That's fair. I don't have consistent hand-calc data. But from about a year ago (prior to the recall) I know that the trip odometer routinely reports about 15.0 mpg for me under normal daily driving conditions, and I calculated about 14mpg when I did the math at a pump. So my impression is that the trip odometer was usually 1mpg optimistic.

Currently, after the recall, it is consistently reporting about 14.0 on the trip odometer. I don't yet have hand-calc data for actual mileage. I suppose that is the next step. I'm wondering if anyone else has noticed this after the recall.

GordoJay

FRF Addict
Reaction score
That's fair. I don't have consistent hand-calc data.
You really need to do this. And average it over multiple tanks. Ethanol is batch-mixed in and "10% ethanol" gas can be anywhere from a couple percent up to 25%. Temperature affects mileage, too. I consistently get at least one mpg less in the winter than in the summer, no matter what vehicle I'm driving.

OP
OP
DINOZR

DINOZR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't discount the validity of what everyone is saying. But there has been a clear difference from immediately pre-recall to immediately post-recall on the mpg reported by the trip odometer. And I gave it three tanks from three different gas stations to see if it was the quality of the gas. Either something is different on the truck's end, or somehow my daily habits and usual gas stations have created a consistently different result, which I find unlikely. Not impossible. But not probable.

GordoJay

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I don't discount the validity of what everyone is saying. But there has been a clear difference from immediately pre-recall to immediately post-recall on the mpg reported by the trip odometer. And I gave it three tanks from three different gas stations to see if it was the quality of the gas. Either something is different on the truck's end, or somehow my daily habits and usual gas stations have created a consistently different result, which I find unlikely. Not impossible. But not probable.
My guess is that they did a reprogram when they did the work. Since you don't have good hand calculated numbers from before, I don't think you will ever know for sure.

Ernexgomez

Reaction score
So recently I did the same thing and had the camphaser software update and I am also reporting that I am getting less mpg after the software update. Not only that but I also noticed that transmission gears shifting display on the Guage cluster is not displaying anymore. It works tell me what gear I'm in. Did anyone else get that after the update.

nikhsub1

FRF Addict
Reaction score
So recently I did the same thing and had the camphaser software update and I am also reporting that I am getting less mpg after the software update. Not only that but I also noticed that transmission gears shifting display on the Guage cluster is not displaying anymore. It works tell me what gear I'm in. Did anyone else get that after the update.
Hit the + button on the shifter or the paddle and they will reappear.

thatJeepguy

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I am post cam phase pcm update .
and i am getting a consistent average of around 16.2 on 1000 miles tracked through fully… roughly 50/50 driving. what are you getting? Its puzzling why you wouldn't include any evidence to back up your claim.