Fun Calculations on Tire Choices

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

fts

Reaction score
I am overthinking this without a doubt, but let's see what y'all say...

The 35" KO2s are listed at 65 lbs and 37" are listed at 69 lbs. For these calculations, I am assuming the wheel weight is the same.

Although 2" diameter is only a 6% increase, the additional penalty comes into play due to larger weight being further outboard from the center of the axle.

If we do the simplest torque required calculations using Fc=mv2/r to arrive at centrifugal force numbers, it comes out that for the same amount of acceleration within the same duration of time, the 37" tires (which actually have 36.5" diameter vs. 34.4" for the 35" tires) requires 18% more torque to be applied compared to the 35" tires.

Another way to look at it, probably, is the 510 ft-lb torque the engine in the raptor will act at wheels as if it only has 418 ft-lb. That is a staggering drop in power, and that's only per wheel, not the impact on all four wheels.

My concern is more on the braking performance than acceleration frankly. I wonder if this means the braking distance will increase at least by 15-20% for the 37" package vs. base.

Although I realize the 37" tires are needed, and in some cases even bigger ones, depending on the driving conditions, but that probably applies to a smaller segment of buyers.

There is good news though: The 37" package only costs about 8.6% more :)

Thoughts?

Ragnar

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good information! I also thought the brakes would be working harder to reduce the speed of the additional mass of the 37s. I'm no engineer but it seems logical that there would be more stress on the brakes with larger tires. Also, considering the 37s come with the same brake setup as the 35s (Correct me if I am wrong, just my observation).

This also confirms my decision to stick with 35s. Not that the 37s are bad, just suites my application better.

melvimbe

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I don't think this is accurate, but my physics is rusty so I definitely could be wrong. My doubt comes mainly because if the drop in power was actually that big, no one would ever go with bigger tires, since performance would be very noticeably worse.

The other is that the equation your using is for centripetal force. Basically, the inward force (from tire edge to center of wheel) needed to keep an object traveling in a circle. (object in motion due to inertia). For example, it's the gravitational force needed to keep a satellite in orbit. Maybe the same formula applies here, and I just don't understand, but it does not seem right. For one thing, I would expected that you would need to take into account rolling resistance and other forces in a calculation of this type?

When it comes to braking, wouldn't the mass of vehicle be a much bigger factor than just the mass of the wheel/tire?

GordoJay

FRF Addict
Reaction score
My concern is more on the braking performance than acceleration frankly. I wonder if this means the braking distance will increase at least by 15-20% for the 37" package vs. base.
Most of the braking goes toward slowing that 6000lb mass of steel and aluminum, not toward slowing tire rotation. I'd be surprised if braking distance increased so much.

Edit to add: Assuming that the brakes are capable of locking up the wheels. Note that the increased diameter will affect acceleration more because it lowers the overall gear ratio and reduces the available torque from the engine, not necessarily because of the increase in rotating mass, although that will have some effect. That doesn't happen with the brakes if they can apply torque to the limit of traction, ie lock the wheels into a skid.

Last edited:

G3n Blue

Reaction score
Ordered 35's mainly due to this and the 35's actually look better than the 37's in my opinion, not to mention the significant increase in travel.

franky16

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I mean it’s an inch of travel. Not sure what you consider significant for an off road truck. Especially considering most will barely leave the pavement. The 37 package is cool but it’s not worth everyone getting their ******* all bound up over.