GEN 2 Front sensors not working - Dealership says new bumper first

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

nikhsub1

FRF Addict
Reaction score
There are a few threads on this topic.. here’s one, see my comments https://www.fordraptorforum.com/threads/how-to-turn-off-adaptive-cruise-control.73783/page-3

From my own experience, and what I’ve researched, it appears the factory sensor bracket is pretty delicate and doesn’t take much of a bump to fail. Not sure it’s necessary to replace your entire bumper. As mentioned, the radar/bracket is behind the bumper grille on the driver’s side.
Bumper PAD, not bumper grill.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
I would pull the pad / grille assembly from the bumper and eyeball the bracket, maybe get some pics. Maybe it’s legit and the bracket has been bent. At this point, what have you got to lose by trying?

Antho

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Could have been knocked out of alignment. As posted above, could also need a new bracket but without photos of the bumper it’s hard to say.

jintro

Reaction score
Bumper pad, grille, whatever you want to call it.. it’s all one piece. A visual inspection of the bracket is unlikely to tell you anything, not really much to it. The dealer told me Ford engineering said if the mounts holding the radar to the bracket loosen up (“break”) the radar will vibrate enough to give false readings to the BCM and trigger the cruise fault. Whatever the cause, it’s a bad and frustrating design.. I’ve been fighting this issue on my truck for the last 4 months.

raptor force

Reaction score
my 2018 gets defaults when hard off roading or heavy rain I have to pull over shut it down and it resets goes back to work maybe try a reset By maybe unplugging it

goblues38

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Not knowing exactly how the acc/collision sensor is mounted, is it possible that the damage you have on your bumper prevents the sensor from being aligned properly? Are the mounting points deformed or bent?

what he said. It is all math and angles. if your minor fender bender messed up the geometry by a half degree.......your sensors would all act weird.

RonPorter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can buy new take offs in sections on eBay for 200 bucks. I did. Check to see if its misaligned first though.