ford raptor spark plugs

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BIGt0007

FRF Addict
Reaction score
That's a better question than it first appears. Before I had the Raptor I had a 3.5L L5 GMC Canyon (that was the big engine at the time). It also had a plug change interval of 100,000 miles. I changed to some specialty plugs at 80K, and it eventually threw codes. So I changed to some top-of-the-line Bosch iridium plugs, and it threw codes in just a couple days.

When I went back to the auto parts store and complained about the Bosch plugs, the guy behind the counter told me that they get that all the time with computer controlled engines. He advised me to buy the same AC Delco plugs that the truck came with. I did, and the truck was trouble free from then until I traded it on the Raptor 36,000 miles later.

For the Raptor I'll be buying whatever Ford put in it at the engine plant.

So anybody else have a prob like that? I was thinkin bout E3 plugs to try and get better mileage

Ruger

FRF Addict
Reaction score
So anybody else have a prob like that? I was thinkin bout E3 plugs to try and get better mileage

You won't. With the 6.2L's twin-plug arrangement, there will be no performance or mpg gain that you will be able to measure. (Unless of course your driving habits change in anticipation of some kind of improvement.)

I have been around and around this issue for over 20 years. The only thing that a high dollar plug can do for you is last longer. Iridium is an amazing metal. But as far as mpg/performance/green is concerned, high dollar spark plugs are like high dollar fishing lures - they catch more fishermen than fish.

SwampKing

FRF Addict
Reaction score
If you guys want the best of plugs.....go Denso if applicable or these, Iridiums or these http://www.lethalperformance.com/lethal-performance-6-2-raptor-whipple-supercharger-stage-1.html
Not cheap though but That's all I used in my Lightning motor and she purred like a kitten. If you wanna go with OEM grade plugs or better .....I would go NGK

Being we are on this topic, here is some more educated facts about our motor.....
6.2 L

The 6.2 L (379 cu in) V8 is the main variant of the Boss engine. The V8 shares design similarities with the Modular engine family such as a deep-skirt block with cross-bolted main caps, crankshaft driven gerotor oil pump, overhead camshaft valve train arrangement, and bellhousing bolt pattern. In particular, the 6.2 L V8 features a 2-valve per cylinder SOHC valve train with roller-rocker shafts and two spark plugs per cylinder as well as dual-equal variable cam timing. The single most significant departure that the Boss engines make from earlier Modular engines is that they have much wider 4.53 in (115 mm) bore spacing (compared to the Modular's 3.937 in (100.0 mm)), allowing for the use of larger bore diameters and valves. The 6.2 L V8 has a bore diameter of 4.015 in (102.0 mm) with a 3.74 in (95 mm) stroke. The 6.2 L V8 has lightweight aluminum cylinder heads and pistons but makes use of a cast iron cylinder block for extra durability since most applications for the engine are going to be used in trucks.

It's hard to just explain why the truck has 2 spark plugs in each cylinder without explaining THE WHOLE Motor.
Hope this helps in understanding the spark plug/motor aspect.

12' Race Red Raptor SCAB (Loaded to the max!)
SCABS are faster!!
08' SeaDoo RXP-X Clockin' 80GPS

Last edited:

SwampKing

FRF Addict
Reaction score
No probs bro!

12' Race Red Raptor SCAB (Loaded to the max!)
SCABS are faster!!
08' SeaDoo RXP-X Clockin' 80+ GPS