Ford Performance upgrades

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Guy

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
it’s good to have goals and everything but... what will be the weak link that breaks at 600-650 hp on a 5700 pound 4x4?

This is something that is overlooked often.

Ford engineers along with their quality assurance team builds the truck with a redundancy and a reliability factor that exceeds operating margins for a wide range of uses.

When you start upping the ante by pressing the horsepower numbers.... there is no question you are using up those reliability margins.

The more you press the power... the more likely it will break... and the more likely it will have a shorter operation life.

I won't lie... I have a tune... intake... and soon an exhaust.... I've pushed the power totals for sure...
But I'll stop there.... I've made the mistake of pushing the power limits too far in the past and what you end up with is something you can't enjoy because you're always fixing it.

Truckzor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
it’s good to have goals and everything but... what will be the weak link that breaks at 600-650 hp on a 5700 pound 4x4?

Aside from oil pump gears in the early supercharged trucks, there really hasn't been much breakage in the Gen 1 arena. And our trucks weigh quite a bit more than yours. I really don't think 650-700 horsepower will be unreliable in a Gen 2 with bigger turbos.

I wouldn't be an early adopter, though. I'd wait it out and see how others do.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
I’m sure the Trans can handle the power, they’re campaigning it behind the SC Camaro too. But... The cam is probably a good 1500- 2000 pounds lighter. Not to mention our suspension isn’t meant to handle that kind of power. It’s a pretty safe bet the engine infrastructure is there and probably the transmission too. What about the transfer case, front drive components? The drive shaft looks pretty beefy but who knows?

Guy’s right, Ford does a bunch of testing, but no manufacturer’s testing survives contact with the customer

hkguns

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Which is exactly why I'm waiting for the FP tune. I'm pretty sure it will be less than most, but I'm also sure it won't leave me without a truck and warranty.

Dachuri

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How do you know Ford Performance will offer a tune?

I called Ford Performance in June and was told their tune would be out this Fall. I'm sure if you call Ford Performance they will confirm as well. The trainers/guides at the Raptor Assualt program I attended 7/4-7/5 also confirmed Ford Performance would have a tune out this Fall.

kdub405

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is something that is overlooked often.

Ford engineers along with their quality assurance team builds the truck with a redundancy and a reliability factor that exceeds operating margins for a wide range of uses.

When you start upping the ante by pressing the horsepower numbers.... there is no question you are using up those reliability margins.

The more you press the power... the more likely it will break... and the more likely it will have a shorter operation life.

I won't lie... I have a tune... intake... and soon an exhaust.... I've pushed the power totals for sure...

But I'll stop there.... I've made the mistake of pushing the power limits too far in the past and what you end up with is something you can't enjoy because you're always fixing it.

Better get the Walker Quite SS exhaust...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Guy

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Better get the Walker Quite SS exhaust...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a Ford Performance Touring edition waiting to install.

Close enough.

Lol

Elite_KG

Reaction score
Called Ford Performance today. The tune isnt expected until the fall. No more updates until late August. I think they are getting a bunch of calls. She explicitly stated no more updates until late August. At least they they the market has an interest. I for one will be in the market for a FP tune.