Extended dealer warranty is it worth it?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Frank N

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I think its worth it if you are keeping it for a while. I believe you can also add it anytime during the 3/36 period, so waiting a bit to make sure you will be keeping it is an option. That's what I am going to do.

df4801

FRF Addict
Reaction score
its a no brainer if you get it cheap thru online Ford dealers

7yrs/ 100K miles for $845 (200 deduct)

Can transfer with truck, so expect resale to be higher if I sell

Monster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I didn't as my philosophy is never buy extended warranty coverage on anything. But if you can add them at any point during the first three years I might do it after we hear more about the engine and trans. Also by then we should know if there is a V8 to upgrade to. I always plan to keep a vehicle 10 years and then I don't make it passed 3 or 4.

pughde

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got one for my Raptor. I also had one for the Gen 1 and they covered cost of replacing both rear shocks.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N915A using Tapatalk

mr_beaverhousen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got one for my Raptor. I also had one for the Gen 1 and they covered cost of replacing both rear shocks.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N915A using Tapatalk

Was the policy the same for your Gen 1 vs Gen 2 for ESP? The fine print on mine had this at the very bottom of items not covered by ESP, which lists shock absorbers. Thus I purchased the maintenance plan. ab0c2837d6ce7d1cc66300438b0eb6d7.jpg

jaz13

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Companies make a killing on extended warranties and sales people earn huge commissions pushing them because they are so obscenely profitable. What is good for the company and salesperson is bad for us. Buying "Peace of Mind" is ridiculously expensive.

Self-insure. Put the money you are tempted to spend on extended warranties into a savings account and pay for repairs out of pocket. I guarantee you will come out ahead over the long term.

At this point I have saved myself more than $10k by skipping every extended warranty offered to me. That pays for an awful lot of repairs if the need ever arises, which it rarely, if ever happens.

Defective parts almost always show up in the first few years of ownership, which we are already covered for, so extended warranties are mostly pointless and is why they are so ridiculously profitable for companies that sell them.