Exhaust Smell

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Okegg0

Reaction score
So now that its finally windows down driving in my area, i’m noticing the smell of exhaust a lot more on the gen 3 than I ever did with either of my gen 2’s. Even with just the roof open I can smell it and at first I thought it maybe was a vehicle around me but its happening each day I drive it with something open. Is there something I should be checking or is this a normal thing for them?

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Even if the doors were off, you shouldn't get exhaust smell in there unless you're driving in reverse or idling with the no wind or it blowing gently from behind. I would check under the vehicle for abnormally installed exhaust. Has anything been done to the truck since you bought it, I mean service or an install? Maybe some scumbag has assed tried to steal your cats?

OP
OP
O

Okegg0

Reaction score
Even if the doors were off, you shouldn't get exhaust smell in there unless you're driving in reverse or idling with the no wind or it blowing gently from behind. I would check under the vehicle for abnormally installed exhaust. Has anything been done to the truck since you bought it, I mean service or an install? Maybe some scumbag has assed tried to steal your cats?
Nope only 3,000 miles on it… i’ll take a look under this afternoon when I get back. Thanks!

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I could understand if you had the rear sliding glass open only as that will usually suck air from the back of the vehicle, but there must be a problem with the exhaust unless my metrics are off.

TX-RAP70R

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know the Ford Explorer had a tsb for exhaust fumes coming into the cabin. It could be related or not.

Last edited:

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I know the Ford Explorer had a tsb for exhaust fumes coming into the cabin. It could be related or no.
Nope, unrelated. That isssue was due to police upfitters drilling holes in the body to run wiring and lights and not properly sealing the openings. The turbulence of the exhaust against the vertical lift gate surface allows it enter the cabin through the holes.

BIZZnice

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So now that its finally windows down driving in my area, i’m noticing the smell of exhaust a lot more on the gen 3 than I ever did with either of my gen 2’s. Even with just the roof open I can smell it and at first I thought it maybe was a vehicle around me but its happening each day I drive it with something open. Is there something I should be checking or is this a normal thing for them?
I am noticing it a lot as well, started opening the windows, about 2k miles on my '22, WOT is obviously more noticeable. I am also thinking in more restrictive exhaust modes that I am noticing it more, it smells very rotten eggy. Would this have to do with not having a catch can installed? If I am going to go WOT be in sport or baja for less restrictive exhaust gas flow? I run 93 always so wouldn't think that would be the issue.

I don't know whether to call it exhaust smell or truck smell, I do notice it more the higher rev I go.

Badgertits

FRF Addict
Reaction score
They have a more “complicated” exhaust system on the gen3 w/ active valves, my first guess would be there is some loose fitting toward the front of the cab someplace that’s causing it

Could also potentially be a bad supply run of catalytic converters that made their way onto some trucks (the rotten egg smell made me think of this)

BIZZnice

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They have a more “complicated” exhaust system on the gen3 w/ active valves, my first guess would be there is some loose fitting toward the front of the cab someplace that’s causing it

Could also potentially be a bad supply run of catalytic converters that made their way onto some trucks (the rotten egg smell made me think of this)
with the trombone loop and massive exhaust can is the valve locking up the smell more in the middle and front of the system, rather than getting it out and burn/exhausting cleanly out the rear exit. I don't really know, but I'm questioning if something like that is happening...