Drag Race - Suggestions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BSouders80

Full Access Member
Reaction score
On 7/22, a semi-local drag strip has their truck night races. I'm going to take my raptor and just see what it will do. Looking for any tips and suggestions.

I could launch in 2nd gear. Thoughts on that?

I would assume that I should lock the rear differential and run it that way?

My torque converter stalls around 1800 RPM's.

Would you take it all the way to the rev limiter or try shifting around 5K or 5200?

Traction control off I would assume.

Off-Road mode???

I plan to make 3 or 4 passes.

Any guesses on what it will run? 730 rwhp If I hit low 12's I'll be happy.

Gumby

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I think off road mode will only get you first and second with the diff locked. can't remember. that could be wrong. get a couple of test hits somewhere safe. I do know you can't build much boost (assuming supercharge) leaving off the foot brake will not let you go over 15-18 rpm. but I don't have a tune. a tune may allow you to. IDK.
your test hit should be a launch only no need to make a full pass. That is not really that safe.
Line up and send it. Good luck. The strip is not what this truck is built for. BUT you should have fun try not to break anything. let us know how you did.

OP
OP
B

BSouders80

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ummmm...730 rwhp....

Somethins gonna give unless every bit of driveline is built to launch
Yes sir. 6.6 with 2.9L whipple pushing close to 18 psi boost on E85

Transmission is built by Ms racing in FL.

Aluminum drive shaft from Axle exchange. The rest is oem until something gives up.

EricM

FRF Addict
Reaction score
It's almost like you guys have never modified anything before.

Bunch of ******* Nancys always talking about blowing up drivetrains in every thread to do with more than stock HP.

Maybe something does break. You can replace it, or upgrade it. It's not the end of the world.

Bozz

Royal Smart A$$
Reaction score

Bunch of ******* Nancys always talking about blowing up drivetrains in every thread to do with more than stock HP.

Maybe something does break. You can replace it, or upgrade it. It's not the end of the world.
Other than most of us don't own a money hose....

Money_Hose.jpeg

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score

Well, if anything, at least we now know who “that guy” is at every test and tune who scatters his engine and driveline all over the track and ruins the night for everyone else. Nothing better then heat soaking in line for half the night while they mop up speedy dry.

MTF

FRF Addict
Reaction score
You'll be fine, the only problem is going to be tire spin.
Another member (biggest) was pushing 770 rwhp on pump gas and couldn't control tire spin at the track.
But his is a 2010 1/2 so no select shift.
Locking out first gear might help not sure what would happen, and press and hold traction control till off.
No need to use off-road to lock differential, just lock it and use 4x4 Hi, the diff won't unlock until you take foot off gas.
I get way better launches just mashing the pedal instead of trying to power up to 1,500+ rpm then releasing the brakes.

Nice to see FTO is still being an ass!!!!!

Last edited: