Decal residue...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Danactive

I'm Back!
Reaction score
I bought my truck used and the previous owner who wisely opted to not spend $1k on decals went the aftermarket vinyl digital mud graphics which if I were going to get them I would have gone the same cheaper of the two routes... While it looked nice I'm more of a clean more subtle look (as subtle as a raptor can be that is lol) so I removed all the decals with the 3M adhesive remover and remove about 90% of the residue but after multiple washes and waxes I still see left over streaks and areas that still have the smeared left over residue... I attempted to get it off using more 3M remover but no luck, just seems to smear it around... Now should I just suck it up and pay $2-300 for a professional detail or is there something out there you would recommend to remove the residue and or fix the issue?

Icecobra

FRF Addict
Reaction score
3m adhesive remover... available at most hardware stores... Lowes, home depot, OSH

Spray it on a cool surface in the shade. Let sit about 2 to 3 minutes and you will see it start to gum up. Apply 3m remover to terry cloth towel and rub the area effected. Do not rub like crazy let the product work and you will see the glue coming up slowly... Reapply and make take a few tries but I removed many decals with this stuff and no problem.. Once your done wash the area completely and dry.. and you should not see any residue from the decal..

Last edited:

hosseface

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My personal favorite for MANY years is gas. Yup, just regular gasoline.

Used it for 20+ years and it works like magic. Zero damage to paint.

WhatExit?

FRF Addict
Reaction score
There are a number of products you could use to remove adhesive residue. Goo Gone, degreaser products (e.g. Simple Green, etc.), adhesive remover, ammonia, etc.

The one thing for sure is they will remove any wax or other products that have been applied to protect the paint.

AdamsPolishes

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I'm surprised that the 3M remover won't take it all off, that's what I would have recommended! How long are you letting it sit on the area?

If you need to step up a bit, try Goo Gone. Next, try clay bar.

As a last resort, any polish should make quick work of it, even by hand, although a machine would be ideal.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bjorn-dpc