GEN 2 What happened to my fender flare?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Caleb Sousley

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I can’t get these streaks off my fender flare. This is the only one that looks like this and my vehicle is ceramic coated and I went through auto car wash yesterday and didn’t select any waxes or anything on the wash. I tried APC, and vinegar to remove it but no luck

Attachments

• IMG_5518.jpeg
    IMG_5518.jpeg
    190.3 KB · Views: 68

XSTNKT

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Common problem. I'm starting to think Ford picked a bad process to paint/coat these. At least, they used a process that doesn't hold up to the elements. Probably either a single stage paint with a flattener added, or a matte clearcoat. Not sure which.

You can use a VERY light polish to get some of that spotting out. I use Meguiars Mirror Glaze #205. It's pretty mild. Just be aware that whenever you use polish on a matte finish, you run the risk of making the finish shiny. If that happens, you'll need to make the other three fender flares shiny as well to match.

m20508.jpg

OP
OP
Caleb Sousley

Caleb Sousley

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I tried my chemical guys scratch remover on a small area but it didn’t seem to help. Not sure what it is, my guess is dried chemicals from the touch less car wash presoak when I went through yesterday

XSTNKT

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I tried my chemical guys scratch remover on a small area but it didn’t seem to help. Not sure what it is, my guess is dried chemicals from the touch less car wash presoak when I went through yesterday
From what I've gathered from other instances, it's chemical staining of the outer coating. I'm pretty sure mechanical removal (polishing) is the only thing that's going to take it out. But, my warning above applies.

Or you could just have them repainted.

OP
OP
Caleb Sousley

Caleb Sousley

Full Access Member
Reaction score
From what I've gathered from other instances, it's chemical staining of the outer coating. I'm pretty sure mechanical removal (polishing) is the only thing that's going to take it out. But, my warning above applies.

Or you could just have them repainted.
These flares have always been a pain they don’t dry right after a wash as it is lol there always spotty. They look good that’s about it. I thought about having them satin PPF’d but that’s quite expensive I think

petrolhead

Reaction score
This happened to my flares as well. I’ve tried a few things suggested on the forum like rubbing alcohol and washing with a pH neutral soap - with no luck. Looks like I’ll be polishing to see if it helps. One of those little things that isn’t a huge deal but drives me crazy when I see it.

OP
OP
Caleb Sousley

Caleb Sousley

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This happened to my flares as well. I’ve tried a few things suggested on the forum like rubbing alcohol and washing with a pH neutral soap - with no luck. Looks like I’ll be polishing to see if it helps. One of those little things that isn’t a huge deal but drives me crazy when I see it.
It’s more annoying to me because it should come off since my truck is ceramic coated I’d assume.

daytona1783

Reaction score
Common problem. I'm starting to think Ford picked a bad process to paint/coat these. At least, they used a process that doesn't hold up to the elements. Probably either a single stage paint with a flattener added, or a matte clearcoat. Not sure which.

You can use a VERY light polish to get some of that spotting out. I use Meguiars Mirror Glaze #205. It's pretty mild. Just be aware that whenever you use polish on a matte finish, you run the risk of making the finish shiny. If that happens, you'll need to make the other three fender flares shiny as well to match.

View attachment 424983
This is exactly what I did to even out my flares that had inconsistencies from the factory. Just two passes on a low speed with my polisher using Megs 205 and they look great. Almost no gloss and no comparable difference to the ones that I didn't polish. Don't get scared when you see a little gray on the pad during polishing.

MEski4x4

Reaction score
Only true option is to paint them. My detailer has done a ton of these and seen this many times. They stain like an SOB. Road chemicals can stain them as easily as a bad detailing spray. I left them alone for now and still had the truck ceramic coated and PPF'd a bunch of it. I'll get the flairs done down the road.

sofloraptor

Reaction score
This is exactly what I did to even out my flares that had inconsistencies from the factory. Just two passes on a low speed with my polisher using Megs 205 and they look great. Almost no gloss and no comparable difference to the ones that I didn't polish. Don't get scared when you see a little gray on the pad during polishing.

Do you happen to have pictures of the finished product?