Deavers for the new Raptor

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

WhatExit?

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Whatexit and his anti 37 agenda is starting to sound like Sasquatch and his weep holes....

No anti-37's agenda here. I already said I like 37's.

I just want the 37" fanboys to tell the truth about the benefits and drawbacks.

Seriously, if you don't understand what larger tires do to a vehicle you shouldn't run them as you might be very unhappy with the results.

The information is out there - do your research or ignore the facts:

* Unsprung weight - Larger tires are heavier and add unsprung weight. The "unsprung" weight includes wheels and tires, brake assemblies, the rear axle assembly, and other structural members not supported by the springs - basically all parts outboard from the suspension springs. Reducing unsprung weight is the key to improving handling. The lower the unsprung weight, the less work the shocks and springs have to do to keep the tires in contact with the road over bumpy surfaces. Lot of problems, if not all of them is caused by inertia. Bigger weight means higher inertia. Higher inertia means more workload for shocks and springs to keep tiers on the ground. If unsprung components have a high mass they are harder to accelerate/decelerate and thus it is more difficult for the suspension to maintain a consistent tire load.

* Brakes - "Brakes are often one of the most overlooked upgrades when installing larger tires. The big meats that inevitably find their way onto a truck after a lift will compromise your stock braking system. The increased leverage of the bigger tires, along with the heavier rotating mass, will quickly overwhelm the stock system, leading to overheating, premature pad and rotor wear, increased stopping distance, and minimal, if any, reserve braking power when loaded down or towing."

Gearing - "A major drawback to upping the tire size is getting power from your engine to the ground. Installing different-sized tires from stock will effectively change your truck's gear ratio. With a bigger tire, the truck will feel like it is geared higher (numerically lower), which is great for highway cruising, but not for low-end grunt, off-the-line acceleration, or passing power."

* Suspension - Will almost always have to be changed

* Handling - On road and off will be affected

* Speedometer/odometer accuracy can be affected

* Rubbing will require trimming

All these things can be overcome. But to do that it will cost $$$

Poodles84

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First of all, ground clearance. An inch does make a difference. You wouldn't throw on a set of 33's to go offroading in your raptor right? Losing an inch is a much a bigger problem. Well think about this, many times offroading you have to air down for traction... Yeah your 35's now have 33 inch ground clearance. If you have ever been in a tight situation crawling through rocks or steep approach and departure angles you would know that every inch counts.
Second, is traction. 37s have a bigger contact patch (even more so when aired down) so when climbing a loose steep hill, this can be the difference of making it or getting stuck.
Lastly, this is the big one for me, is bigger tires smooth out terrain. Now this isn't just an inch like ground clearance, but you get the benefit of "both sides". The tire won't fall into as many holes or nearly as deep. Going high speed on rough terrain with 37's vs 35's is no comparison
Seeing is believing, i urge you to ride in a truck with 37s you will know immediately
Like I said earlier, most of the guys who go 37 do it for the look and never see the true potential. But there is huge advantage.

Side note, a big trend in mountain bikes was going from 26 inch tires to 29's... now the most popular is 27.5. the 29s have some negative effects but they do smooth out terrain. The 27.5 (5.5% bigger) is the perfect "compromise".
When you ride all 3 (26,27.5,29) you can really understand how larger tires help

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I went from a 27.5" MTB to a 29er and shred Whistler even better now; no need for a downhill bike. I'm going to put 37s on my raptor and jump over your peasant tires @WhatExit?

WhatExit?

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I went from a 27.5" MTB to a 29er and shred Whistler even better now; no need for a downhill bike. I'm going to put 37s on my raptor and jump over your peasant tires @WhatExit?

p71jdfei0p.jpg

Poodles playing in traffic :ROFLJest:

HighwayBigWheel.jpg

Poodles84

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Although fire suits are always a good idea, the pic of me leading the pack is much better.

Here's a picture of @WhatExit? going to his first raptor run ....

*Please note this is recreated. A real picture was not available as he has no friends to take one.

Attachments

• whatexitraptor.jpg
    whatexitraptor.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 64

WhatExit?

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Although fire suits are always a good idea, the pic of me leading the pack is much better.

Here's a picture of @WhatExit? going to his first raptor run ....

*Please note this is recreated. A real picture was not available as he has no friends to take one.

Funny stuff Poodles. I did my first Raptor Run in 2011. You were probably riding your Big Wheel then. :baby:

---------- Post added at 05:59 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:59 PM ----------

Just got back from picking up some stuff at RPG, really great group of guys.

I need me some +2 Deavers now...

What'd you get from them?