GEN 2 Dealer installed spray in bed liner

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

edubpdx

Reaction score
He guys any of you with dealer installed spray in bed liners. My rig is about a month and a half old. I noticed a couple weeks back that my tail gate was not completely covered with the bed liner spray. There is a crucial transition point between the bed and the tailgate that has exposed paneling without any spray. So now whenever I load things I can’t simply slide it in, be yo don’t want to scratch up the exposed paneling. I have to lift items OVER the transition area, then slide it in. See photo:02739d7fec3d73d940c21a670845f889.jpg
aafb5ba20c9c296f9bf636b5b4f7c796.jpg
WTF?! Is this standard practice? Are your Beds like this? I’m very unhappy with it. I would think that a properly sprayed bed would also include ALL the tail gate. Am I wrong?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JohnyPython

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Apparently the dealer bed liner is excellent in terms of quality. It’s done by robot and cannot be done that evenly/consistent by hand.

My Line X installer said that they omit some areas where the bed meets tailgate. My bed liner wraps around and has more coverage.
8C95EB7F-5E49-406B-BC0C-374044DA453F.jpeg

Dealer might send it out to be done under warranty but it’s my understanding that that’s how it comes. Let us know what they say.

CigarPundit

On the road to serfdom...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have the Ford Toughbed factory liner and it is exactly the same. That's how they do it. I don't really see the problem here. I slide stuff in and out and have had no issues. The part that isn't coated is recessed.

JohnyPython

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I have the Ford Toughbed factory liner and it is exactly the same. That's how they do it. I don't really see the problem here. I slide stuff in and out and have had no issues. The part that isn't coated is recessed.

Hmm... I guess less is more and there isn’t an issue. Good to know.

OP
OP
edubpdx

edubpdx

Reaction score
Hmm... while I guess it’s less of an issue then I thought. I still don’t like it. I wonder of an aftermarket line x installer can fill in the gap and do my rear wheel wells? I’ll have to call around and see. Maybe after all this Covid crisis blows over. Thanks for all the responses.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dreys

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dealer doesn't do the bedliner. They usually outsource the job to one of the local shop in the area. Ask who they use and work with the shop directly..

Keep in mind, by having dealer in the middle, you're paying more.

P.S.: Your bedliner is sprayed correctly. If you'll look closely, bedliner adds thickness (2-5mm, depending on brand). Spraying where both pieces meet will prevent water drainage, and will result in bed and gate rubbing against each other.

20200412_190754.jpg

Last edited: