Dealer in TX says can't sell truck to CA because of emissions?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HellFish

Reaction score
BTW - if you're ordering 2018. You can ask the dealer to do a courtesy "drop-ship" it to you your local CA Ford dealer. The CA dealer will register the truck and license it for you so you don't even have to go to DMV or pay for shipping.

How late in the process can you get that drop ship thing?

GMAN62465

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When I was looking to purchase my 2012 Chevy Avalanche in a specific color I was not able to find it locally through the dealer that I was working with... I did find one available in Michigan... spoke to the dealer there and gave him a deposit...

I booked a flight out to Michigan for myself and my son and would drive it back...

When my local dealer called me back to see if I was looking to do a different color I told him I found one available somewhere else....

Local dealer said he found that one available as well but it could not be registered in the state of Connecticut as NEW as it did not have emissions for Northeast or 50 state emissions...

I found out directly through CT DMV Emissions Department that I could not register it here in Connecticut as it didn't have proper emissions on it and I could not register it as NEW.

Michigan dealer made some calls and I made some calls and found that the only way I could register the car in Connecticut would be to drive it back with a registration using the dealers name and address for a short amount of time and then registering it as a USED car in Connecticut in my name after I put about five thousand miles on it.

I did not feel comfortable with this and so I went back to the dealer and asked him to refund me my deposit and the dealer also sent me a check directly from the dealership for the plane tickets that I could not use.

Ended up buying the Avalanche through a dealer up in Boston in Silver versus the Darker Gray and traded that in on my Raptor in 2014

Michigan dealer did right by me and goes to show that not all dealers are shady..

GMAN

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

mr_beaverhousen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This was discussed before. It's possible and out of state dealers may not be aware of this. I think the only place it was a problem was in the state of MA. Follow @Maha link. It requires more work of getting a smog and weighed.

CFIT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I live in CA and ordered my truck from a dealer in TX. The order was initially placed without specifying CA emissions as I didn't think it needed to be noted/added to the order anymore. Some time before my order was pulled, I second guessed myself and contacted the dealer. He told me that CA emissions did need to be added to the order (no cost) but that once it was on the order, the dealership was unable to sell the truck locally - i.e. it HAD to be sold to someone in CA. As a result the dealer required an additional deposit that would be applied to the price if the truck if the sale went ahead (and it did) and would be non refundable if I backed out of the deal.

He actually told me that the dealership would get fined if they ordered a CA emissions truck that wasn't ultimately first registered in the state of California.

The salesman and dealership in general were outstanding to work with, and they stood nothing to gain by any of what they told me, so I don't have any reason to think he was blowing smoke. That said, when I questioned him about the fine he wasn't sure what the reasoning behind it was.

I do know that CA emissions was indicated on my window sticker, and the registration process in CA was a nonevent.

I'd do it over again for sure. It was an easy process, and saved at least $10k ADM that I was seeing at every dealership in SoCal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nikhsub1

FRF Addict
Reaction score
BTW - if you're ordering 2018. You can ask the dealer to do a courtesy "drop-ship" it to you your local CA Ford dealer. The CA dealer will register the truck and license it for you so you don't even have to go to DMV or pay for shipping.

Yeah I've heard of this, but it doesn't seem so easy... dealer are ******** here and want $1k to PFI the truck...