Can the stock motor support a supercharger

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tmp123

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello

I am thinking about doing a refresh on my 2012 Raptor with a new motor and possibly a supercharger.

Would a short bloc from Ford hold forced induction? How strong are stock parts excluding the valve springs (known problem)

Thanks in advance

EricM

FRF Addict
Reaction score

Don't bother with headers if you get a roots or twinscrew style blower.

Last edited:

John813

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Yes. My 2nd Gen 1 I boosted and it ran great. I did the oil pump upgrade at the same time for peace of mind.

OP
OP
T

tmp123

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Don't bother with headers if you get a roots or twinscrew style blower.
Thanks for the info. Question , so a stock crankshaft should be good? The heads would need a refresh with valve springs etc.
Also Oil pump gears

EricM

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The stock crank is probably your limit as far as utlimate power goes- assuming you upgrade the rods and pistons.

I don't think there are any forged cranks available for the 6.2L, but I've not heard of the stock crank breaking either.

High RPMs is what damages cranks, destorys bearing, and break rod bolts... Keep the RPMs in check and it'll be fine.

OP
OP
T

tmp123

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The stock crank is probably your limit as far as utlimate power goes- assuming you upgrade the rods and pistons.

I don't think there are any forged cranks available for the 6.2L, but I've not heard of the stock crank breaking either.

High RPMs is what damages cranks, destorys bearing, and break rod bolts... Keep the RPMs in check and it'll be fine.
In your opinion is long block from Livernois (20k) a good option?
Thanks

Last edited:

EricM

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I read the description on their engine package. The additional stroke is not good for longevity. I'd prefer it to come with a stock crank style/displacement, but upgraded to forged crank material.

If you want all out power, into the 4 digits with 20+ lbs of boost, that's not a bad way to go.

If you plan to run 650 HP range with 8-12 lbs of boost, it's a bit much.