GEN 2 Cam Phaser replacement in your own garage ...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
ViMo

ViMo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It is not; that is why the rattle noise only occurs on a cold start. It takes time for the oil to drain from the phaser rotor cavities after shutting down the engine. When the engine is running, there is a load on the phaser so the spring returns it to base timing when the PCM stops commanding the VCT solenoid. You can achieve the same effect by unplugging the VCT solenoid.

In the new calibration, the strategy keeps the phasers in the unlocked position during operation instead of allowing them to frequently return to base timing depending on conditions.
Does this new software strategy have no effect on the old CamPhaser? ... if only the software is replaced, can't you save the old CamPhasers from damage?

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Does this new software strategy have no effect on the old CamPhaser? ... if only the software is replaced, can't you save the old CamPhasers from damage?
The software is a preventative measure. If the phasers are already exhibiting the cold start rattle, the software cannot correct that and the phasers will need to be replaced.

OP
OP
ViMo

ViMo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The software is a preventative measure. If the phasers are already exhibiting the cold start rattle, the software cannot correct that and the phasers will need to be replaced.
Is the new software recommended to be replaced only after CamPhaser has been replaced?

OP
OP
ViMo

ViMo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nope, it can be installed at any time.
FordTechOne, can you give me some advice ... Before I start replacing the PCM / TCM software, what should I pay attention to? Is there a procedure to return to the original program in case of failure?

Last edited:

goblues38

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I did this for my Audi A6, 15 years ago. It almost ruined me for wrenching. 3 days over Labor Day weekend to save $800 in labor. Now a days....my time is worth more......understand the OP is in Europe....but I would just pay someone.

32103668936_8a3c253770_c.jpg

31993717992_2071ec8108_c.jpg

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
FordTechOne, can you give me some advice ... what should I look for when replacing PCM / TCM software? Is there a procedure to return to the original program in case of failure?
There is not, but IDS has the ability to recover the module if the programming fails.

OP
OP
ViMo

ViMo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did this for my Audi A6, 15 years ago. It almost ruined me for wrenching. 3 days over Labor Day weekend to save $800 in labor. Now a days....my time is worth more......understand the OP is in Europe....but I would just pay someone
Audi is made in Europe, there is a good chance it will be repaired by an authorized dealer.
A Ford F-150 is a purebred American, it is not intended for the European market, there are no authorized / specialized dealers, it is very difficult to find someone specialized for diagnosis and repair ...
However, did you successfully work on the Audi engine?

Graybeard

Reaction score
Not only is this possible, I just finished doing my own. May post a write up and pics if there is interest. As with other engine work on this truck, it is a bit tedious, but I did not find much of the work too taxing. If I were you, I'd start by getting real comfortable with the shop manual and see if it is something you feel you can handle. There are only a few specialized tools required, and I was able to source almost all of the parts.

FYI - Those intake manifold gaskets (under the valve covers) seem to be on perpetual backorder - Ford is recommending re-use of the old seal if you need to perform this service.

OP
OP
ViMo

ViMo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not only is this possible, I just finished doing my own. May post a write up and pics if there is interest. As with other engine work on this truck, it is a bit tedious, but I did not find much of the work too taxing. If I were you, I'd start by getting real comfortable with the shop manual and see if it is something you feel you can handle. There are only a few specialized tools required, and I was able to source almost all of the parts.

FYI - Those intake manifold gaskets (under the valve covers) seem to be on perpetual backorder - Ford is recommending re-use of the old seal if you need to perform this service.
Congratulations on your success ... I want to know, what are those special tools needed for intervention? Thank you.