GEN 2 Cam Phaser replacement in your own garage ...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mars911red

Reaction score
Have you considered asking if there is a ford tech willing to fly out and do this repair that is experienced? You did say it is an exotic in Romania? No idea the cost but depending on your skill it might be worth it. I have no idea in flight costs etc but it could be an adventure for the tech and something for them to brag on the theme they …….

OP
OP
ViMo

ViMo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Have you considered asking if there is a ford tech willing to fly out and do this repair that is experienced? You did say it is an exotic in Romania? No idea the cost but depending on your skill it might be worth it. I have no idea in flight costs etc but it could be an adventure for the tech and something for them to brag on the theme they …….
Hey man ... I'd love to be able to invite an expert to Romania for such a repair, in case anyone agrees, thanks for the suggestion. However, I have to deal with any car problem on my own ... it would be tricky to call someone from another continent whenever I have a complicated technical problem. To reassure you, I am also a service engineer for Caterpillar industrial equipment, and the technical problems do not scare me so easily ...

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I want to know ... isn't locking and unlocking done every time the engine is stopped and started? What is the very high operating frequency of the locking pin?
It is not; that is why the rattle noise only occurs on a cold start. It takes time for the oil to drain from the phaser rotor cavities after shutting down the engine. When the engine is running, there is a load on the phaser so the spring returns it to base timing when the PCM stops commanding the VCT solenoid. You can achieve the same effect by unplugging the VCT solenoid.

In the new calibration, the strategy keeps the phasers in the unlocked position during operation instead of allowing them to frequently return to base timing depending on conditions.

BenBB

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Good tip on the Torx Plus; most people don’t have a set of those laying around. They can be hard to find in stores as well.

The VCT solenoids are duty cycled by the PCM, which allows the phaser to be positioned anywhere between base timing and fully advanced/retarded. The locking pin wear was being caused by the phasers locking/unlocking too frequently, so the duty cycle was changed in the new calibration.
That's what stood out to me on the TSB @CoronaRaptor posted, under Service Procedure, #2 Reprogram the PCM using the latest software level of the appropriate Ford scan tool." Well that and the 9.9 hours, oof. @ViMo much respect for attempting it yourself but...there's 5 Ford dealers in Bucharest...just sayin'. If nothing else you could get them to program it...

OP
OP
ViMo

ViMo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
BenBB, there are Ford dealers in Bucharest, five in number, but they don't have the necessary logistics to repair such a car ... I tried. They do not want to carry out a major intervention because they are afraid of failure, they are only allowed to repair cars destined for the European market. There are very few F-150 Raptor cars on the European continent ... especially in Romania.

BenBB

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
BenBB, there are Ford dealers in Bucharest, five in number, but they don't have the necessary logistics to repair such a car ... I tried. They do not want to carry out a major intervention because they are afraid of failure, they are only allowed to repair cars destined for the European market. There are very few F-150 Raptor cars on the European continent ... especially in Romania.
Pusses. Haha I meant no offense, if you work on D9's (or the like) I'm sure the Ecoboost will be no problem!! Good luck and keep us posted, I'm interested to learn.

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
That same engine is in the lincoln navigator I think as well. Don't they have any of those there, lol. At least as @BenBB said, they should know how to program a pcm, LOL. I'm also guessing, everything is in English on your truck and the Ford software where you are is probably all in Romulan (Romanian) lol.

OP
OP
ViMo

ViMo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
CoronaRaptor_One must understand a situation ... America / Canada is another world. The first time I said that I own an American car, and this to the Ford authority in Romania, they said that I am on my own, there is no service and no official parts are sold ... this is the reality.