CAI or tune? Both?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

t_j

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Nothing "wrong" with K&N...but according to the SVC flowbench guys...the S&B kit flows the best out of everything they have tested.

That was a good enough reason for me...but to each their own.

I think that in NA applications you will be hard pushed to see power differences from the different CAIs and filters that can be measured via the seat of the pants method. Smiles method is another story as any CAI will increase smiles as you drive.

All (read most there are a couple that are exceptions to some of these points but they are rare and expensive) CAIs will increase intake noise, reduce the 'security' of the intake from water ingress, and give a small power increase. All drop in panel filters should just give a small power increase.

Aramco Raptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just so it's clear to everyone...

The power difference I notice is not just because of the S&B Filter kit.

The combination of filter kit, tune and exhaust is what makes me feel the difference...and in my opinion...it is significant.

OP
OP
JWell

JWell

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just so it's clear to everyone...

The power difference I notice is not just because of the S&B Filter kit.

The combination of filter kit, tune and exhaust is what makes me feel the difference...and in my opinion...it is significant.

What exhaust are you running?

Jimbo

Mad Frog Mattis
Reaction score
He has a custom exhaust exiting the bed tonneau cover.

JimIII@JDM

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
We offer a few packages for the Raptor and one in particular is the SCT x4 Tuner with our custom tune and an Airaid intake kit. Now the Airaid system and most other systems for these trucks, will not produce much at all for power or torque gains on their own. But with a good custom tune that has the proper throttle table commands and properly tunes for the VCT (Varibale Cams) to make power in the peak RPM range, you can see a big gain in performance from an open filter kit. Plus they look and sound cool right?! haha but seriously we have seen around 40 RWHP from both tune and air intake on our dyno on many a Raptor. Here is a good example of a test we did when these trucks first came out back in 2010. The truck made 333 RWHP stock and 334 TQ. After tune and intake the peak numbers were 366 and 385! But you can see the power curve is broader and in the mid range sees more than 40-50 HP gained! That is what you feel on the street. Not peak numbers on a dyno.

Attachments

• redden.jpg
    redden.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 102

svt_reid

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My opinion is that it's the tune doing 90 percent of the gains. The intake and exhaust would be nominal. Unless maybe you went full headers with no cats. you're only gonna get so much air flow through there

pat247

FRF Addict
Reaction score
We offer a few packages for the Raptor and one in particular is the SCT x4 Tuner with our custom tune and an Airaid intake kit. Now the Airaid system and most other systems for these trucks, will not produce much at all for power or torque gains on their own. But with a good custom tune that has the proper throttle table commands and properly tunes for the VCT (Varibale Cams) to make power in the peak RPM range, you can see a big gain in performance from an open filter kit. Plus they look and sound cool right?! haha but seriously we have seen around 40 RWHP from both tune and air intake on our dyno on many a Raptor. Here is a good example of a test we did when these trucks first came out back in 2010. The truck made 333 RWHP stock and 334 TQ. After tune and intake the peak numbers were 366 and 385! But you can see the power curve is broader and in the mid range sees more than 40-50 HP gained! That is what you feel on the street. Not peak numbers on a dyno.

Thanks Jim, if I remember correctly you achieved these numbers with a modified Airaid CAI that you pioneered back then. Do you still sell the modified Airaid CAI? The new Banks Ram Air and the S & B look promising, have you tested either of those?

JimIII@JDM

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Thanks Jim, if I remember correctly you achieved these numbers with a modified Airaid CAI that you pioneered back then. Do you still sell the modified Airaid CAI? The new Banks Ram Air and the S & B look promising, have you tested either of those?

You may be right, I was just looking through old dyno graphs I had. When we modified the air inlet tube it opens the housing from 80mm to 100mm. It would disturb the MAF sensor and sometimes cause a rolling idle so we stopped selling them like that. The difference in the stock 80mm tube vs. the modified 100mm was worth a couple of peak HP. Most of the power under the curve however was not affected.