Bumper lights vs roof rack

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
cthomaschase

cthomaschase

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Easy install, briter than you could believe, makes the headlights not even worth useing. This set up is ideal for good cruises through the woods and stuff but not race style, great for hunting.

awesome man, thanks.

yeah, the lights are for the desert, but not for racing. the speeds aren't going to be crazy fast, as it's going to be my chase truck and i ride slow :p

sounds like the bumper setup is the way to go for my needs.

BIRDMAN

Birdministrator
Reaction score
i'd either do the low-pro 40" LED mount on the roof or the 40" mouted behind the grille.

A.I.I.Raciing

Dezert 8MYMNEY
Reaction score
I'll tell you when I get mine. I ordered the ADD roof rack and the Stealth Bumper. My point behind doing this was to not cut down on the amount of air going into the engine. Otherwise I would have done the double 40" lights on the bumper.
If you look at the pic above, you can see the 2 lights behind the grill, they cover a large majority of the airflow opening behind the grill. The light's have been on the truck since 2001 and have yet to have a single overheating problem. In fact the truck's never got hot once.

How do the LED compare to the HID?

HID's will throw light much further than an LED, but that's with today technology, now tomorrow might be completely different.

One other thing to think about is how your using your truck, I don't run flat dezert, we only run whoop sections, and with lights on your bumper you end up with lots of shadow's in those whooop's. With the lights on the roof you loose much of the shadow due to them being much higher.

OP
OP
cthomaschase

cthomaschase

Full Access Member
Reaction score
One other thing to think about is how your using your truck, I don't run flat dezert, we only run whoop sections, and with lights on your bumper you end up with lots of shadow's in those whooop's. With the lights on the roof you loose much of the shadow due to them being much higher.

I won't be racing, but I see plenty of whoops in her future either way. Good point about the shadows.

What do you guys do to make sure no-one steals the lights off the truck? I was thinking maybe a small tack weld on each base?

OneArmedViolinist

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'll tell you when I get mine. I ordered the ADD roof rack and the Stealth Bumper. My point behind doing this was to not cut down on the amount of air going into the engine. Otherwise I would have done the double 40" lights on the bumper.

I was thinking about getting the ADD roof rack with the 50" Rigid Light Bar, but wasnt sure I wanted to slap this huge, gawdy thing on top of my roof. If you have any pics of yours, Id love to see how it looks.
Thanks,

SPRSNK

I Void Warranties
Supporting Member
Reaction score
After usage, I hate my roof mount light bar and plan on removing it. Anything above 50mph gets a nice whistling/whining noise. It gets louder as you get faster. Absolutely hate it. After a night run, it is gone.

IMG_0187.jpg

Aaron

Meme Corps Commandant
Reaction score
After usage, I hate my roof mount light bar and plan on removing it. Anything above 50mph gets a nice whistling/whining noise. It gets louder as you get faster. Absolutely hate it. After a night run, it is gone.

http://i296.photobucket.com/albums/mm186/sprsnk/Raptor%20Run/IMG_0187.jpg[/IMG[/quote]

That's good to know. I had been considering one of those, I think I'll just stick to bumper mounted lights since I don't do a lot of off roading at night anyway.

IRONMAN

Reaction score
Have you tried covering the holes on the mounts to see if that would stop it?
Maybe the wind is passing through them at the perfect angle. Just an idea.

HaleOfBay

Reaction score
i had a 6 in kc slim lites on my sport trac and if anything it made it run cooler...i dont know if it stirred the air up more or what but i wouldnt worry about overheating... the bumper lights work better for shining into those little rice burners anyways

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bjorn-dpc