Moon roof rubber gasket seal maintenance, what lubricant?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Monte87

Monte87

Reaction score
Yes, the microfiber around a credit card I think is what’s actually suggested in the tsb, and is the best way to get the rear fixed panel (alcohol on the towel first, then once clean out the grease on a clean part of the towel).

View attachment 446926
Got it!!!!!! Thanks so much for the clarity =) and sage hahahah
Ant

New recaros

FRF Addict
Reaction score
A small plastic puddy knife is the way to go. I took some sand paper to all the edges of the plastic knife to ensure no sharp edges. I put that expensive lube stuff along the rubber seal, wrap the end of the puddy knife in a microfiber cloths and run it along the edge to distribute the lube.
I never clean the rubber with alcohol as it dries it out.

OP
OP
Monte87

Monte87

Reaction score
Hey guys!!
So i did the moonroof lubricant maintenance yesterday and it went well. I used the entire tube of Krytox and have to buy another, its tiny!!! The AAA card w microfiber towel worked PERFECT!!!!!!!!!!! slid in like butter.
Question --> #1) I want to lube the track of the moonroof as well. What lubricant can i use for that? The dealer put some grayish grease on it, but it looks old and i wanna do it all at once and be done. So the track is a must!
#2) How often should i perform this lube the moonroof project?

Thanks Anthony

OP
OP
Monte87

Monte87

Reaction score
A small plastic puddy knife is the way to go. I took some sand paper to all the edges of the plastic knife to ensure no sharp edges. I put that expensive lube stuff along the rubber seal, wrap the end of the puddy knife in a microfiber cloths and run it along the edge to distribute the lube.
I never clean the rubber with alcohol as it dries it out.
I did the exact method but used a AAA card as it was thin and flimsy and glided between the rubber and body. Let me ask you though, did you use the steady stream of lube along perimeter? Or small drabs and dots to conserve the grease? I used the entire tube on roof. lol
I also used my finger to smear it on the glass rubber to lubricate that hard rubber as well. It was quite messy
Thanks Ant

Donmatteo

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Hey guys!!
So i did the moonroof lubricant maintenance yesterday and it went well. I used the entire tube of Krytox and have to buy another, its tiny!!! The AAA card w microfiber towel worked PERFECT!!!!!!!!!!! slid in like butter.
Question --> #1) I want to lube the track of the moonroof as well. What lubricant can i use for that? The dealer put some grayish grease on it, but it looks old and i wanna do it all at once and be done. So the track is a must!
#2) How often should i perform this lube the moonroof project?

Thanks Anthony
Yes. 100% you want to do the track and the plastic parts of the track. Open the roof, apply to the tracks and cycle it a couple of times and I would say every 6-12 months. If you live in a dry, hot area, every 6 for sure.

I think you're using too much of the product. 1 little tube should be enough for a couple of applications. (insert lube sex joke here for @Oldfart )

Oldfart

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Yes. 100% you want to do the track and the plastic parts of the track. Open the roof, apply to the tracks and cycle it a couple of times and I would say every 6-12 months. If you live in a dry, hot area, every 6 for sure.

I think you're using too much of the product. 1 little tube should be enough for a couple of applications. (insert lube sex joke here for @Oldfart )
I can testify to the fact that too much lube leads to issues, such as matting of the fur, and needless mess in my truck!