Booking a Trip to Colorado - Where to go?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AndysLog

FRF Addict
Reaction score
we did do airbnb last time we went. this time we are just going to do local hotel rooms. you save so much more money that way.

airbnb sounds cool until you get lied to or everyone jacks up the price for no reason, or you need a 3-4 day stay at MINIMUM. its a legit idea and good uses for many things.

HOWEVER, if you plan on bouncing around. i would just opt for cheap hotels. you can sleep in ****** man made construction every night. you however cannot wake up and see mountains and snow and wildlife in your face of that scale without driving across the country.

Snowsled

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How about a couple of wildlife pics, since you asked in your PM...
The Big Horns hang out at the place we have been building a couple of custom homes over the last couple of years. One day that bunch just layed down and hung out right behind the house for a couple of hours while we worked.

Included the small Elk heard on my way home, Possible to see them in the valley in August but it is usually still too warm.

Attachments

• IMG_0074.jpg
    IMG_0074.jpg
    116.1 KB · Views: 64
  • IMG_0076.jpg
    IMG_0076.jpg
    151.4 KB · Views: 70
  • IMG_0086.jpg
    IMG_0086.jpg
    99.9 KB · Views: 62
  • IMG_0090.jpg
    IMG_0090.jpg
    84.8 KB · Views: 66

Mike175

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So you guys may have convinced me to spend some time in Colorado and more specifically Ouray as well. As I am planning it, I hope to make the ROC run July 7th in Fallon NV. Coming from Central NY I will be leaving on the 1st and was looking for someplace to spend Independence Day. I should be able to make the 2,000 miles in 2 long days. So spending a couple putting around that area will be nice. Still doing research and looking at what all to do.

@Sozzy12 if you and your brother will be around the 4th we could make link up.

Snowsled

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So you guys may have convinced me to spend some time in Colorado and more specifically Ouray as well. As I am planning it, I hope to make the ROC run July 7th in Fallon NV. Coming from Central NY I will be leaving on the 1st and was looking for someplace to spend Independence Day. I should be able to make the 2,000 miles in 2 long days. So spending a couple putting around that area will be nice. Still doing research and looking at what all to do.

@Sozzy12 if you and your brother will be around the 4th we could make link up.

If you want to stay in or around Ouray on the 4th you had better start on that reservation today. The town goes nuts for a solid week. My Hotel used to be booked for the week of the 4th by this time every year.

Sozzy12 is right though, Ouray is a really cool place to spend the 4th.

Mike175

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Man I guess I had better, thanks for the heads up. Any other suggestions of places or towns to stay if I can't find anywhere in Ouray?

Mike175

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good call on booking now. 90% of the availability was gone. Got the wife and I a spot at the Black Bear Manor. Now to make it there in 2 days and decide what all else to do with our time off.

Snowsled

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good call on booking now. 90% of the availability was gone. Got the wife and I a spot at the Black Bear Manor. Now to make it there in 2 days and decide what all else to do with our time off.

Nice, that is a good location, right down by the river. There will be more for you to do than you have time for, once you get there.

Hopefully we start getting some moisture around here. Sucks when they cancel the fireworks due to fire danger. Fireworks in the canyon are awesome! All you will need is a couple of chairs and a spot on the grass at your B&B.

Now that you have the lodging you might want a dinner reservation or two. They go quickly at the few good places. Steak and out west atmosphere including bar and piano player, the Outlaw. Best in town is the Bon Ton at the St Elmo Hotel, cozy and quiet. The food is great at both, both will fill up like the hotels... Get burgers at Maggies Kitchen no matter how long the line is. (no res.) All are located on main street.

Enjoy

Mike175

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@Snowsled Thanks for the help I really appreciate it. I've only got 2 days there before I need to head further west for the ROC run. I know that is no where near enough time. But we have a lot of miles to cover in 2 weeks.
Plan on kicking around town on the 4th. Really hope there are fireworks. That's our anniversary too, so it's nice to have a firework show to celebrate with. The 5th I wanted to do a scenic drive through one of the passes. Still trying to decide on that day and where to cruise to.

Snowsled

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@Snowsled Thanks for the help I really appreciate it. I've only got 2 days there before I need to head further west for the ROC run. I know that is no where near enough time. But we have a lot of miles to cover in 2 weeks.
Plan on kicking around town on the 4th. Really hope there are fireworks. That's our anniversary too, so it's nice to have a firework show to celebrate with. The 5th I wanted to do a scenic drive through one of the passes. Still trying to decide on that day and where to cruise to.

Parade and water fights are the high points of the day, and the fireworks. Take an easy trip over Ophir Pass and head west. I would head out through Norwood to Utah. When you hit the highway 191? head south toward AZ. I would think there is a route through there. I went that way years ago, beautiful high desert bluff country.

Maybe save the more involved trails like Imogene for another trip. It will be bonkers busy in the high country too. Ophir means you go over Red Mtn Pass on the highway, then over the mountain on a mostly gravel road, with some shelf road on the back side. Pretty mellow and plenty of room for vehicles to pass. 2 hrs later you are back on the highway, ready to resume the trip.

I am sure you will figure it out. Happy to answer any questions. I will be in Italy for my sisters wedding over the 4th this year, so any Raptor meet up on my end is out this time around.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
khunter