Black Bear Pass Co.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

treypal

Lord of the Raptors
Reaction score
VERY IMPRESSIVE. Love to hear if you came upon traffic, or is this widely know to be one way?

This should get moved out of the 2011 forum and into the past expeditions pics/vid sub,

We need more details, why wouldn't you do it again in the rap? Overkill/wrong trail?

Blackbear is one way only until the falls, so all of the tight stuff into telluride is downhill only.

OP
OP
Anthony

Anthony

Reaction score
The man reason why I would not do it again in my raptor... there was a few spots were I was as tight as i could get against the cliff wall and my outboard tires were about half over the cliff. not much room for any mistakes.

We had a 3 day camping trip from Siverton, Ouray and Telluride. We did Imagene, Ophir, Black Bear and a few off trails on Black Bear when we took wrong turns. Trail broke off a few times and was a guessing game what way to take.

Coming down the steps into the first hard right turn I slid a few times.

I ended up knocking my back bumper up some. Both tie hook ups on my rear are bent up about 45 degrees and my trailer light hook ups are gone.

To make the switch backs the pictures do no justice really. They had my front tires right at the edge turning. At one time I told the spot he is nuts I have to be over the edge and all he said is have faith and go slow "I" have you and will not put you over the edge. After we got through all the switch back down to the power house he told me he was worried that we may not make it. The 4 door raptor will have no chance on this pass.

And yes there is a big sign that tells you this is one way only down the pass. Everything else up to the top and a ways down before the steps you can turn around and head back to Ouray.

pirate air

will plunder your booty
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nice work dude! Looks like its now a race who will do it next between Trey and I.
Im pretty sure you're the first to do it in a Raptor. I've been fumbling with the idea of driving black bear for three years now. Looks like I fumbled for too long.
There's still one pass that should be doable in a raptor that isn't claimed yet... Maybe I should call in sick tomorrow.

AZEngineer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did that pass in the 80s in a International Scout. I was the passenger and it was Scary in that little package. Hard to imagine taking my Raptor down there. The scariest part for me was at the top. When we went down the water was flowing over those big slick rocks at the top. Watched the first two trucks in front of us us slide several feet forward and to the side. I got out and "guided" because I was too much of a chicken to stay in the truck. You've got balls