GEN 2 Big Brake Kits

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Jayrod

Jayrod

Full Access Member
Reaction score
UPS man making people smile today

Brembo arrived, now waiting on wheels

image1_zpsvhleng87.jpg

Looks good I am still waiting on both brakes and wheels. Brakes timeline is pretty close.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

byz250f

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The amount/volume of fluid required to move a total of 28 pistons is going to be much more than the stock setup. Hopefully you have done your engineering and tested the piston pressure/clamp force at each caliper.

your 100% right. I used to work in foundation brake design and master cylinder actuation is designed on the system sizing. More fluid displacement will require a larger MC piston and orifice volume. If you dont change the MC you will not get the proper amount of fluid displacement and you will get a soft pedal, or less deceleration the stock setup. We used to see 'Tuners' put huge brembo calipers on import cars and not increase the MC size..we did a test on one and found the stock caliper setup actually braked quicker and had better deceleration and better pedal feel.

also almost 70% of all brake rotor castings come out of China now.

FGHT ON

Full Access Member
Reaction score
R1 concepts rotors are absolute junk! I'm as picky as they come. I had them on my '15 Jeep SRT and they rusted after the first rain. Replaced them w Brembo upgraded drilled rotors and never had a rust issue, even after winter.

Got my eyes on the Baer kit.

Chris@FreedomMotorsports

FRF Gofur
Supporting Vendor
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Looks good I am still waiting on both brakes and wheels. Brakes timeline is pretty close.

So, how are you liking your R1Concepts BBK now that you have it installed?

R1 concepts rotors are absolute junk! I'm as picky as they come. I had them on my '15 Jeep SRT and they rusted after the first rain. Replaced them w Brembo upgraded drilled rotors and never had a rust issue, even after winter.

You are about the third person I have heard say that since 2009. Literally. There are a LOT of members here that would disagree wholeheartedly.

WhatExit?

FRF Addict
Reaction score

How did the R1 Concepts brakes perform or was it just about the rust?

OP
OP
Jayrod

Jayrod

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So, how are you liking your R1Concepts BBK now that you have it installed?

You are about the third person I have heard say that since 2009. Literally. There are a LOT of members here that would disagree wholeheartedly.

Love my R1 BBK. I disagree wholeheartedly with the junk comment.

crash457

I'm Batman
Supporting Member
Reaction score

very steel rotor rusts. Let me repeat that for you.

EVERY STEEL ROTOR RUSTS.

The surface has no protection where the pads ride, so any water will start surface oxidation that can form in mere hours. But drive it and hit the brakes and the oxidation is scrubbed off. Problem solved.

BajaFred

Full Access Member
Reaction score
very steel rotor rusts. Let me repeat that for you.

EVERY STEEL ROTOR RUSTS.

The surface has no protection where the pads ride, so any water will start surface oxidation that can form in mere hours. But drive it and hit the brakes and the oxidation is scrubbed off. Problem solved.

I suspect he's referring to the awful looking rust ring on the non swept area - it's usually half an inch between the pad and the rotor hat

I'm not calling out R1, no history with them but if the entire rotor is zinc'd then you won't get this rust ring

D

Deleted member 12951

I suspect he's referring to the awful looking rust ring on the non swept area - it's usually half an inch between the pad and the rotor hat

I'm not calling out R1, no history with them but if the entire rotor is zinc'd then you won't get this rust ring

Who knows what he ordered from R1 Concepts. They have different options and he might of gotten the cheapest ones he could get. I haven't heard a single complaint on the ones that Freedom Motorsports sells but only praise.

FGHT ON

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How did the R1 Concepts brakes perform or was it just about the rust?

The performance was on par, but I'm not ok with all the slots, drilled holes and edges rusting and looking like garbage

You got it - for that kind of money on that expensive of a vehicle, that's cutting corners to me.

Who knows what he ordered from R1 Concepts. They have different options and he might of gotten the cheapest ones he could get. I haven't heard a single complaint on the ones that Freedom Motorsports sells but only praise.

I ordered the only slotted and drilled rotor R1 made at the time for Jeep SRTs - ordered straight through R1. I'm not one to cut corners and go cheap. I also called R1 and they basically said tough, that's how it is, and there is nothing they will do.

To each his own, but I'll stand my words that R1 is not worth the money, nor on par with the likes of Brembo, Baer, Wilwood and will never buy any product of theirs again.