Best / Recommended Octane

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Big Blue

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Refineries run filters as well as the tankers them selves and the only difference between 87 and 93 is the additives. The product comes from the same source and the additives is mixed on the rack...which both receives detergents for cleaner emissions. The idea behind high octane is for engines that need slower burning fuel aka high compression. You're also dealing with attitude factors. Attitude effects the air/fuel ratio on a vehicle. Modern vehicles are easily adaptable to changing environment due to computers. This is where the extra power comes in from aftermarket tunes. Your avaverage vehicle is tuned a little on the fat side so the vehicle can be driven all over the country without concerns of running lean but that another story.

Anyhow, it' my opinion that people should b mor concerned about th additive used in the fuel. Quality product can help prevent damag to an engine over time while a lack of quality product could shorten it's life span.

So in your experienced opinion, which gas stations are the best and which are the worst?

Humvee21

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Refineries run filters as well as the tankers them selves and the only difference between 87 and 93 is the additives. The product comes from the same source and the additives is mixed on the rack...which both receives detergents for cleaner emissions. The idea behind high octane is for engines that need slower burning fuel aka high compression. You're also dealing with altitude factors. Altitude effects the air/fuel ratio on a vehicle. Modern vehicles are easily adaptable to changing environment due to computers. This is where the extra power comes in from aftermarket tunes. Your avaverage vehicle is tuned a little on the fat side so the vehicle can be driven all over the country without concerns of running lean but that another story.

Anyhow, it' my opinion that people should b mor concerned about th additive used in the fuel. Quality product can help prevent damag to an engine over time while a lack of quality product could shorten it's life span.

Fixed.

SVTRay

FRF Addict
Reaction score
So in your experienced opinion, which gas stations are the best and which are the worst?

Additives and detergents can turn into deposites inside an engine over time and as far as I know Cheveron Techtron is the only additive that doesn't do it.

ISFast

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Refineries run filters as well as the tankers them selves and the only difference between 87 and 93 is the additives. The product comes from the same source and the additives is mixed on the rack...which both receives detergents for cleaner emissions. The idea behind high octane is for engines that need slower burning fuel aka high compression. You're also dealing with attitude factors. Attitude effects the air/fuel ratio on a vehicle. Modern vehicles are easily adaptable to changing environment due to computers. This is where the extra power comes in from aftermarket tunes. Your avaverage vehicle is tuned a little on the fat side so the vehicle can be driven all over the country without concerns of running lean but that another story.

Just FYI this isn't all correct. 87 and 93 are different coming down the pipeline and put in different tanks to store each separately. Regular no-lead (87) is usually a little higher than 87 octane and then at the tank is usually mixed down to be pretty much spot on. Premium no-lead (93) is at least 93 and then mixed down to make it close to 93. All the octanes in between 87-93 are % of each mixed to make the correct octane rating like 91.

If you get 100% gas then great if you get ethanol mixed gas like e-10 that is mixed at the truck racks. They don't come down the pipeline together due to separation and the amount of time ethanol can stay together in gasoline without going "bad". Plus ethanol is hydrophilic which means it likes water. This is why if you have a gas station tested for water issues they have to know whether it contains ethanol or not. It takes different test strips due to when the test strip reaches the water at the bottom of the tank (water is heavier) and pulled back up through the ethanoled gasoline that it strips the test strip of water and shows no water on the test.

75% water in 91 premium pull straight from an M3's tank :whymewhyme:
24369_544935138715_6679577_n.jpg

As for filtering..... They are all ran through the same filters the same amount of times. The only difference could be your gas station independent filters, but I highly doubt it.

As for gas stations gas, most are pulled from the closest and cheapest terminals for there gas being 87-93 octane. The terminals will have x,y,z companies additives to be injected when the truck loads from the terminal tanks. So most gas comes from the same tanks just branded by the additives.

SVTRay

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Just FYI this isn't all correct. 87 and 93 are different coming down the pipeline and put in different tanks to store each separately. Regular no-lead (87) is usually a little higher than 87 octane and then at the tank is usually mixed down to be pretty much spot on. Premium no-lead (93) is at least 93 and then mixed down to make it close to 93. All the octanes in between 87-93 are % of each mixed to make the correct octane rating like 91.

If you get 100% gas then great if you get ethanol mixed gas like e-10 that is mixed at the truck racks. They don't come down the pipeline together due to separation and the amount of time ethanol can stay together in gasoline without going "bad". Plus ethanol is hydrophilic which means it likes water. This is why if you have a gas station tested for water issues they have to know whether it contains ethanol or not. It takes different test strips due to when the test strip reaches the water at the bottom of the tank (water is heavier) and pulled back up through the ethanoled gasoline that it strips the test strip of water and shows no water on the test.

75% water in 91 premium pull straight from an M3's tank :whymewhyme:
24369_544935138715_6679577_n.jpg

As for filtering..... They are all ran through the same filters the same amount of times. The only difference could be your gas station independent filters, but I highly doubt it.

As for gas stations gas, most are pulled from the closest and cheapest terminals for there gas being 87-93 octane. The terminals will have x,y,z companies additives to be injected when the truck loads from the terminal tanks. So most gas comes from the same tanks just branded by the additives.

I'm talking more about base gasoline products produced from the refinery before it's blended and mixed with ethanol/additives.

FYI: Fuel is also mixed on location at the filling station. Example, a station generally has two storage tanks despite offering 3-4 grade fuels. The blending valve mixes low grade and high grade fuels to create mid grade fuel.

80c3214fe29603c06b49713630222d3e.jpg

Last edited:

ISFast

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I'm talking more about base gasoline products produced from the refinery before it's blended and mixed with ethanol/additives.

FYI: Fuel is also mixed on location at the filling station. Example, a station generally has two storage tanks despite offering 3-4 grade fuels. The blending valve mixes low grade and high grade fuels to create mid grade fuel.

80c3214fe29603c06b49713630222d3e.jpg

I am talking about before it gets to you to haul off.

Also, with winter coming up your fuel content changes a little from what it is during the summer. This is one big reason why gas is cheaper in the winter.

Last edited:

Wilson

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I run e-30 I ran it stock with the long tube headers and all cai now with the tune. am soon going to tune it especially for e-30. ethanol runs lean witch is hotter witch means it burns clean so if all your doing is driving around would not even think twice, but with the tune it leans it out plus ethanol leans it out so be careful not to pull the truck for to long like towing long distance with a tune not set for e-30

I'm confusing