Bad news... (the One and ONLY thread about the shortage of Tuxedo Black paint)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bluedog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Went by a dealership yesterday to compare a black and silver Raptor. The owner was driving the silver one so that did not happen. I did test drive a supercrew. If Ford will let me change my black to sterling gray I will be set.

Were you ever able to compare the silver and black? I'm starting to think about making the change to silver.

Vash

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Right now if I absolutely could not get Tuxedo Black within a sane timeframe, I'd probably go for the Ingot Silver with an aftermarket hood graphic or just continue hoping that Ford makes Race Red available earlier than planned.

I like seeing other people's trucks that are flame blue, but I just don't see myself owning that color if that makes any sense.

I really hope that Ford is still evaluating options to get their customers taken care of rather than taking a sit and wait approach simply because Merck provided an estimated date.

OP
OP
F

Fordx4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Were you ever able to compare the silver and black? I'm starting to think about making the change to silver.

I was not, but after looking hard at a black one I just cant justify going with my second choice. Black it is unless I can get a sterling gray.

Bluedog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Don't want to be the first to cave in, so I'll stick it out a little longer. I located a silver near work and took a detour on the way home for a look. The silver color is light (watered down). Not bad, but convinced me to continue waiting. In the meantime, it looks like I'll be converting the Jetta into a temporary hunting/fishing rig.

Bluedog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
FYI (cut from the following link): Issue 106

"Per Ford, leave unscheduled orders as-is with original paint selection. When they officially balance out a color, unscheduled orders will require a new paint color to be selected."

Those with unscheduled t. black orders should be prepared for a color change request.

BOJANGLES

<span style="color: red;"><b>Administrator</b></sp
Supporting Member
Reaction score
SUPERMODS: we're going into"One and ONLY" mode with this thread. Please merge all other current/future threads about the paint shortage into this thread.

OP
OP
F

Fordx4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Spoke to my dealer today, I feel like he knows even less than I do sometimes. He stated the database updates at 12:01am on Wednesdays and would hopefully have an updated for me tomorrow. Any truth to that Randy?

Bluedog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Traded a couple of e-mails with my dealership last Saturday. Not much new, but they did indicate they're hearing rumors about the "original" black being brought back to complete 2011 orders. He may have been referring to the black used prior to 2010.