Bad news... (the One and ONLY thread about the shortage of Tuxedo Black paint)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ernie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Spoke with dealer today. My black SCab ordered (placed with Ford) 1/27 is still at priority 01, partial VIN. No updated information on a build date. Apparently, KC has sufficient Tuxedo Black to take care of their orders....for now (though some models they've stopped building altogether, at least in the tux black). Unfortunately, the situation does not appear to be the same at the Dearborn plant (where the Raptors are made). As to what this means for a build date for my truck, right now it's up in the air. Time will tell if Ford will come back and ask for me to change colors (which I won't), or if any decisions on how to use remaining supplies of tux black will get mine built. We both felt that, should production be pushed out past June, it makes more sense to simply order a 2012. Not thrilled about that possibility, but I'm sticking with the Tuxedo Black...so I'll wait.

ernie (fingers still crossed but not holding my breath)

Last edited:

jdowens1

Ford Senior Master Technician
Reaction score
Not to change the subject but on a different note I had just ordered myself a new snap on epiq tool box for work and was planning on getting one of the new clear coat colors. Turns out the Saphire Blue is also out of Japan and not being made so seems many manufactures are getting hit.

yomudderputter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is that why you keep showing back up at the vinyl shop saying "Please continue my reverse Michael Jackson transformation!" next thing you know your Raptor will be touching little boys where they pee from.

Please, please "don't touch my no no" :drool:

Bluedog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
From Ford's website (FAQs):

"Due to a supplier disruption of a metallic paint pigment used by the automotive industry caused by the earthquake and tsunami in Japan, Ford will restrict scheduling of several colors until paint is exhausted on select vehicle lines for the 2011 model year.The paint colors affected are Tuxedo Black, Red Candy, Royal Red, and Red Fire. Vehicle lines affected include F150, Super Duty, Expedition, Navigator, Taurus, MKS, Explorer, Focus, and Ranger. Final production of these colors is expected in mid-April and alternative replacement colors are under investigation. If you have a vehicle on order with a dealership, please keep in touch with the sales department who can provide more information about the status of your order."

Looks like T. Black won't happen for unscheduled production. Should be interesting to see if there will be any "alternate replacement colors" offered. Maybe an alternate black. I believe they use a different black with the Ranger.

Last edited:
OP
OP
F

Fordx4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Went by a dealership yesterday to compare a black and silver Raptor. The owner was driving the silver one so that did not happen. I did test drive a supercrew. If Ford will let me change my black to sterling gray I will be set.

Bluedog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If not an alternate black, the gray would work. It's already available on most F-150s (just need to be OK'd by SVT as a Raptor color).

Vash

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Thanks for the info. That's pretty damn lame. I'd be OK with an alternate black color or maybe if they made Race Red available early since they already have it showing up as a '12 option. Pretty disappointed. Wish they had a charcoal color or something. For this much money, I'm not going to just pick a random color and not care. Guess I need to have a chat with my dealer this week.

Last edited:

Bluedog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Paint factory Update:

"TOKYO, April 5 (Reuters) - Germany's Merck KGaA aims to resume full production by June 1 in Japan at the world's only factory making a specialty paint pigment that has forced Ford Motor Co and other car makers to stop taking orders for cars in certain colours.

The chemical company closed its factory in Onahama soon after a magnitude 9.0-earthquake on March 11 damaged its facilities, disrupted infrastructure and crippled a Tokyo Electric Power Co nuclear power station about 45 km from the plant.

The factory is the sole producer of a specialty pigment called Xirallic that gives cars a glittering shine and is supplied to Toyota Motor Corp , General Motors Co and others."

UPDATE 3-Merck aims to resume Japan paint plant in full in June | Reuters

Vash

FRF Addict
Reaction score
That does suck, but at least it provides some sort of timetable. I hope Ford continues its search for an alternative regardless with hopes that they can resume production earlier than June. Even if Merck is producing xirallic by June 1, you have to add the time it takes for container ship to go from Japan to the US.

So much for having my Raptor before my birthday (June 15) I guess. Guess time will tell. Thanks for the update.

Last edited: