Bad news... (the One and ONLY thread about the shortage of Tuxedo Black paint)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Vash

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Just got off the phone w/ Ford Customer Care. Apparently my Tux Black 2011 Raptor has a VIN now, but no scheduling info. Called my dealer to get confirmation and they're going to pull the latest status.

Thus far it looks like my order placed 28 FEB is a go for Tux Black unless I find otherwise. :)

I'll keep everyone posted.

Update: Dealer confirmed my VIN to be built the week of 02 May!

Last edited:

Vash

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The Ford Americas President issued an update today:

Mark Fields said:
"We have worked through and are making good progress on replacement colors," Ford Americas President Mark Fields told reporters on the sidelines of the New York International Auto Show today. "We'll have those replacement colors in probably the next month or two."

From The Detroit News: Ford closer to restoring paint palatte | detnews.com | The Detroit News

Last edited:

graphics1988

Reaction score
...sorry newbie question here.....i havent seen the tuxedo black in real life...whats the "so special" deal about it? I am currently in the process of puttin together my order for one....and likely the black...until i started reading THIS......WTF?! I like the Orangey one....but not sure if i'd get tired of the colour, and the white doesnt overly thrill me (pearl white may have looked sweet)...the blue...nah.....silver may be the next best colour choice...but as usual....i chicken out 10 minutes before signing the deal...and ALWAYS order BLACK! so....now what?!:Grenade:

Upen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The tux black is shiny with metallic flecks in it as opposed to a straight black.

graphics1988

Reaction score
oooooooo. Hmmmm....i think i've seen that colour before...i wasnt too crazy about it...always looked dusty. Well, hopefully they replace it with straight black!! hahaha.....or hopefully i SEE the tux black before i order one. Anyone from Toronto Ontario area have one??? lol...thx

Upen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you go to a ford dealer they make a couple different cars with the tux black paint.

Vash

FRF Addict
Reaction score
oooooooo. Hmmmm....i think i've seen that colour before...i wasnt too crazy about it...always looked dusty. Well, hopefully they replace it with straight black!! hahaha.....or hopefully i SEE the tux black before i order one. Anyone from Toronto Ontario area have one??? lol...thx

If you look back to Randy's post on the previous page: http://www.fordraptorforum.com/35526-post112.html

It basically shows that Ford is getting ready to add a non-metallic black to replace Tuxedo Black.

I actually really like the Tuxedo Black much better than a non-metallic because it doesn't show minor swirls, scratches, and dust as bad, but still has the high reflective property that black paints are known for.

HARLEY6LF250SDU

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Latest Paint update.....

randy
-----------------------------------------------

April 25, 2011
To: All Ford and Lincoln Dealers Subject: EFC00312DC Paint Availability Update A month ago (3/25/11), we notified you of an industry-wide supply chain issue which would disrupt the supply of pigments for some of our vehicle paints. Since then, a cross-functional Ford team has developed a comprehensive plan to ensure dealers retain the ability to order and stock a full range of colors with minimal scheduling disruption.

Actions are being implemented at all manufacturing facilities that will include replacement paint choices where necessary. We also continue to have a significant number of vehicles in dealer stock and in the system available for sale to retail customers. Between current inventories and our comprehensive paint plan, we do not expect to experience any color shortages.

The purpose of this communication is to provide an update on scheduling of early balance out paints and our plan to manage through this change.

Vehicle Scheduling Update

Previously, we communicated early balance out of Tuxedo Black, Red Candy, Royal Red and Redfire paint for some vehicle lines.

Additional colors will balance out in the coming weeks and months including:

Bordeaux Reserve
Lava Red
Kona Blue

Sangria Red
Earth
Bright Magenta

Updates with specific balance out dates/details will be provided via normal communication channels - Weekly Commodity and Constraints letter and updates from the Field Order Schedulers.

Replacement Paints

The action plan includes replacement colors for all paints affected by this shortage. Three color replacements impact 2011 models while the remaining replacement paints will be available for the 2012MY.

Below is a summary of the 2011MY vehicle order guides that will be updated:

Current Paint
Replacement Paint
Models

Tuxedo Black (UH)
Black (UA)
Taurus, Edge, Explorer

F-150, Super Duty, Expedition,

Navigator, MKS, MKX

Red Fire (G2)
Toreador Red (FL)
Ranger

Red Candy (U6)
Red Candy (RZ)
F150

Dealer Recommended Actions

Significant efforts have been taken to reduce scheduling disruption during this transition. Dealers are encouraged to:

Review weekly scheduling notes for information on replacement paint timing and the publication of updated order guides.
Monitor the unscheduled order bank (USOB) and change orders impacted by balanceout paints.
Ensure salespeople have the most current information to manage customer expectations regarding color availability and retail order scheduling.
This remains a very fluid situation and is subject to change. We will continue to provide additional details as soon as they are available. Thank you for your support as we work through this challenging business environment.

Copyright 2011 Ford Motor Company

Vash

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Thanks for the update, Randy! Good to see that Ford has a contingency plan in effect for all the affected colors. Hope that the replacement colors live up to customer expectations. Is there anywhere online where color samples are shown for the various new paint codes? It isn't a substitute for a real life paint sample, but better than nothing.

HARLEY6LF250SDU

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the update, Randy! Good to see that Ford has a contingency plan in effect for all the affected colors. Hope that the replacement colors live up to customer expectations. Is there anywhere online where color samples are shown for the various new paint codes? It isn't a substitute for a real life paint sample, but better than nothing.

Not that I know of from Ford.
But you should be able to take those Ford paint codes to any automotive paint supply store and see a sample chip.

randy