attn light bar manufacturers

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BlueSVT

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Luckily, your comprehensive vehicle insurance should cover any items bolted to your vehicle... the deductible would still suck to pay, but better than paying for another $2200 lightbar!!!

Kanakry

FRF Addict
Reaction score
$0 comp!!!!

In the time that it takes you to respond to the Alarm going off a good thief will be long gone, with the light bar.

I add some theft deterants to mine but its only going to make them work for about 15 more seconds. Hopefully they just think its not worth it.

Last edited:

BlueSVT

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Mine has the bolts purposely stripped below the nut, and the bolt bent at 90-degrees. Would be nearly impossible to steal without a cut-off wheel and small grinder! I dont plant on removing, but will use just that when I need to, and replace the bolt when re-installing.

Like you said... all these things just slow theives down. Usually the electronics is the last thing they cut or try to yank free... so when the alarm sounds, they'll be running full sprint anyway, with your bar in hand!

Still a cool idea, though.

GMBRacing

Reaction score
JUst use an ergraver and id your bar, that way when they try to sell it or get caught with it you will get it back. We do this with some state agencies that have a theft problem with our equipment. I work for a light/siren company

OP
OP
The Car Stereo Company

The Car Stereo Company

aka grumpy car stereo guy
Supporting Member
Reaction score
definitely a good idea to mark your equipment. i am just trying to figure a way to deter the theft to begin with. anyone can take anything at anytime. its just a matter of how much attention they draw upon themselves during the process. it sucks that people will steal things from others who worked hard for their toys and mods. but unfortunately it happens.

lexmotorsports goodguy

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I have spoken with one of the major lighting manufacturer's about a wire harness we did not care for, they informed me they could make whatever changes we wanted if we ordered enough of them, and would not affect cost more than a few cents per unit. I really like your idea.

Have you experimented with it to see if it works?

OP
OP
The Car Stereo Company

The Car Stereo Company

aka grumpy car stereo guy
Supporting Member
Reaction score
yes i have. i received one of my lightbars after i had my truck incident. it is still sitting here, so i decided to play around with it to see if there was a way to connect to my alarm. i found that it was possible, however having an extra exposed wire made it a little less obscure. once i get my truck back (hopefully in 2 months) i will proceed with the full install and a write up of what i did. unless there is enough interest to do this quicker.

RigidIndustries

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
from hearing about how thefts of lightbars are not uncommon, i was tinkering with one of my lightbars. i have found a way to help secure the lightbar by having it attatched to an aftermarket alarm. the only downfall is that it required me to have an extra wire coming out of the light. if the lighting manufacturers could add an extra wire in the original harness, it wouldnt look out of the norm and nobody would know. that way, if anyone tries to unplug or cut the wire harness, it would trigger whatever alarm aystem you have on your vehicle.

so my question to the lightbar manufacturers, how feasible is it to have an extra wire built into the original harness? and to have it at the end of the harness with the connection. and is it not cost effective to do so?

Please send us an email to [email protected] and i will have the engineers take a look at this idea. Thanks

Banned
Reaction score
sounds like a good plan. sure, buy the time the alarm sounds they already have your bad in hand, however, once that alarm goes off every single set of eyes in the area will be looking at it. and the thief.

depending where the theft occurs, it could be the difference between catching a crook, or not.

Blind1

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I like the idea, but truthfully most people don't even pay attention to them anymore since about every vehicle has an alarm now. For me to pay attention to a car alarm going off, it would have to be one helluva obnoxious sound (i.e. Siren, Air Horn, or Gun Fire)