Anyone switch from 3/4 ton (super duty, HD...)?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

clemsondds

Reaction score
Just curious if anyone has switched from a 3/4 truck to a raptor. I have a raptor now and will be looking to trade it in soon. I pull my boat 5-6k lbs about once or twice a month 100 miles or so. I would love something that pulls it and you don't even know it's back there. But I also daily my truck and so I would like something that doesn't feel so big and awkward around town. I was leaning toward the 37 raptor or a TRX, but have just read so many mixed reviews on towing. Some say they are great and some say they hate towing with them lol. I have a gen 2 and so I hear towing is better with the gen 3 but I got a feeling I might still wish I had something bigger. I am leaning toward the 2024 AT4X...I like the creature comforts (nice interior, heads up display, massage seats...) but also the power and "off-road" capability. Just not sure about how the ride quality will differ from my gen 2 raptor. Also wouldn't know whether to go with gas or diesel v8. I haven't ruled out the SD either... And I know I need to go test drive some but it's just not possible right now. There's no trucks in my area that are available to test drive and I also have no time. So just trying to do the majority of my research online and then will narrow it down. So, I guess what I'm asking is: for those who have switched from 3/4 to 1/2, was it a huge difference and are you happy with your decision? thanks!

PGas32

Reaction score
I’ve had an F-350 and F-450 in the past, and used them to tow a 40’ gooseneck. They were the right tool for the job (especially the 450, phenomenal truck!) but driving them as daily got old in a hurry. I don’t have much time in my Raptor yet, but it’s a great daily driver. Comfortable, and it stops and handles much better than a SuperDuty.

Sounds like either route you take will be a sacrifice of sorts…figure out if DD capability or towing is more important, and go from there.

Donovan

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I completely agree with what has been said. I always said that when I have a need to tow something. I would get an older 250 or 350 with much much less technology. Simply towing and hauling stuff.

BoostCreep

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Am I the only one that doesn’t buy into the “you need an F350 to tow 2-3 tons” camp? If you were towing that load for 1,000 miles per month sure, the HD truck would be better. But it’s not like everyone towing a 4-6k lb pleasure boat needs an HD truck either. Personally the comfort and performance of the Raptor would win me over 99/100 times unless you’re really towing a LOT or towing very heavy loads.

Donovan

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I can honestly say that I'll never be towing a boat. Maybe jetskis or a trailer for trash. So max 1 ton I suppose?

BoostCreep

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I can honestly say that I'll never be towing a boat. Maybe jetskis or a trailer for trash. So max 1 ton I suppose?
I’ve towed 2 SeaDoos on a trailer with the Gen 2 and 3, and you don’t even know they’re back there. A normal sized wake or ski boat, you know it’s back there but unless it’s long distances on a regular basis, the Raptor is fine.

HighwaySentinel

︻デ┳═ー - - - - - - -
Reaction score
You could just get a Super Duty and upgrade the suspension to a Carli setup. That will help with the daily driving comfort. I had a 2013 F-250 before my 18' Raptor. I would not go back. Then again, I don't tow anything.

G2G3Iconic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Over the past 10 years I have had many (10 or so) close friends buy fifth wheels and other toy haulers. 5 of them bought DD high end Diesels for towning. The others had other daily drivers. Typical was a hundred miles towing a few times a month. Mountains in summer and dunes in winter. Exactly 0 of the five still use the Diesel for daily driving. All have either sold the whole get up, or at a minimum found other daily drivers. The ones that are the most happy with their current circumstances bought older Diesel pushers, and drive a nice truck as a daily driver. So for my two cents, the answer is both.

OP
OP
C

clemsondds

Reaction score
Am I the only one that doesn’t buy into the “you need an F350 to tow 2-3 tons” camp? If you were towing that load for 1,000 miles per month sure, the HD truck would be better. But it’s not like everyone towing a 4-6k lb pleasure boat needs an HD truck either. Personally the comfort and performance of the Raptor would win me over 99/100 times unless you’re really towing a LOT or towing very heavy loads.
I agree with you...I've been towing my 5klb boat for 4 years now with my gen 2 raptor and not had any issues. It's not like it sways or anything...I just like a little bit more torque and less squat. But it's not terrible or anything and definitely doesn't feel unsafe. I've had it up to 70+mph (on accident...just not paying attention) and never felt like it was out of control.