Any comparisons of bump stop kits?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BigJ

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Example: Jason why did you chose RPG instead of the other offerings? Were there any design differences? Was it price (financial)?
Was it company reputation? etc?
Gotcha. Makes sense.

I chose RPG for a few reasons:
-I first became aware of RPG when I had met Corey (of RPG) on the Mojave Road trip. I got to spend some time with him and learn about his background professionally, and get a sense of the man personally. We're both engineers so we connected on that level, and on a personal level I found the guy to be flat out inspiring. He's been thru some stuff in his life that would probably have the rest of us bitter at the world. Corey on the other hand looks at each day as a new and wonderful opportunity. Its hard not to let that sort of positivity affect ya, and so I ended up really enjoying being in his company during that trip.

-When I got home, I looked more into RPG as a company and learned what I could via these forums and elsewhere. I still had zero intention of buying any bump stop kit at this point. Remember, I believed all that frame bending stuff was a problem for the 'big guys', not us causal adventurer types. But even so, I love learning and so I spent time soaking up what I could and each time I came back to how stout the RPG kit looked.

-I talked with bstoner. He has the RPG kit, and he said something that really intrigued me; he said that the kit not only protects against future damage, but its design also fixes minor damage already caused. Me being me... that's something I have to see to believe.

-I contacted Jarrett (RPGs voice on FRF). I proposed that we put RPGs stuff under my microscope, that we put together a session where Corey takes a look at my front end (I have the Truxxx spacers and Corey had mentioned he'd take a look at stuff for me to see if they'd caused any damage). At the same time, we could just see if my frame was bent (no way it was, right?) and if it was, then we could install their kit. I would NOT buy their kit though if I wasn't bent. And thru it all, we'd take tons of pics and tell the forum world what we found. Sort of a no holds barred tell all. Jarrett jumped thru the screen and took me up on the idea.

In case ya missed it, here's what we found: http://www.fordraptorforum.com/f5/40k-mile-suspension-checkup-binding-blown-shock-bent-frame-10550/

And here's the Stage 2 install: http://www.fordraptorforum.com/f5/rpgs-stage-2-kit-rear-frame-support-fox-air-bumps-10553/

So in my particular case, it wasn't so much a case of comparing others and deciding on RPG, although I definitely did that via pictures and review threads here. It was a matter of (1) coming to know the folks behind RPG, (2) coming to understand their extensive experience and expertise, (3) knowing how way over freaking built their stuff was relative to other solutions I'd seen, (4) the statement that their kit will actually fix minor frame bending and (5) RPGs willingness (excitement even) to have me come with my camera and brutally honest eye, put their stuff to the test and tell everyone what we find.

I have no doubt that others would have reacted the same had I given them the same opportunity! We are really lucky to have several quality vendors here at FRF. But for me, it sort of all fell into place and I ended up not only learning a ton, but fixing a problem I didn't know I had and preventing it from happening again, all while in the company of good folks and friends who also showed up to help with the install and learn too. Hard to beat that.

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

scubadds

Reaction score
Good stuff.

My off road experience comes from building (from spare parts) and driving a defender 110 and rebulding a defender 90 (35's, lift with castor correction and double C/V added, air lockers, HD axles). I've been thru several types of shocks, spring, radius arm and trailing arm setups. Granted my defender 90 is a '94...
I guess the kits and raptor trucks haven't been out that long, but I was hoping someone out there had either installed and tested more than one system at work;
or have a friend that went with another brand kit to contrast the ride or build quality.
I guess I was also comparing the deavers to the National Springs; and lumping them with the bump stop kits that each vendor sells with their kits.
That is probably the bigger factor in my mind

Thanks guys
My truck was suppossed to be built yesterday!

Last edited:

BigJ

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Comparing leafs is much easier to do. If I'm you, I call Deavers and I call RPG (not National, because National will tell ya to call RPG for Raptor specific leaf info), and I tell both of them I'm trying to choose between the two options. Let them tell you why their product is superior; basically listen to what both have to say about their products, and don't be afraid to ask questions.

Then come back here and maybe ask specific questions based on what you learn? I think those couple of phone calls will prove very informative to ya, and you'll have a really good grasp of the differences, as well as an understanding about the questions you have that still remain. And filling in those gaps is where we can help ya with both experience and opinion :peace:

treypal

Lord of the Raptors
Reaction score
Both Deaver and National are good companies with USA made springs. Deaver doesn't currently offer an HD spring, but I know that if you ask they will build you one to spec...

McCredie a

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not trying to sway votes but, i talked to deaver on the phone. They were really helpful and i explained to him what i was looking for in the leaf spring. He stated that the current models offered might not be the best choice. He followed up by offering to create a custom leaf pack to meet my needs if i provided the info he needed (weight planned to be carried in the bed, height of the truck wanted) and the custom pack would cost no more money. He also helped explain the long term sag in their springs which i think the customer should be informed of before you purchase a pair of leaf springs. Overall great guys, but thats i hear the same thing about the guys from national.

JRASIK_Cdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I like this thread. I agree that it's going to be tough at this point to differentiate between the three- it'd take a magazine or some company with the resources and independent 'experts' to start a review. At this point I guess it'll come down to people trickling in with their opinions and experiences.

I've talked to all three companies at some point about their kits. No groundbreaking info, just really the same stuff that they have presented here about why they have designed how they have (encapsulation, bump size, etc), The only shop I haven't been to personally for a one-on-one is RPG, so I know less about them.

With that said until I find out that one is vastly superior to the others I'm going with the RPG kit mainly for the package price of the Stage 3 kit. I have a feeling that all the kits are similar enough that unless I drove all three I probably wouldn't really know the difference (or care). Lol, hopefully I'm right as the long-term testing by us goes on.

I do have a question that has been nagging on me about the SDHQ setup. Maybe I'm looking too much into their wording on the kits webpage, but they mention something along the lines of "you don't need a bump stop kit of *** size" (seemingly referring to the competitor's) with a properly set-up bypass kit. My question is are they saying that the trucks with stock suspension are set up properly, or that with their kit you will need additional suspension work to make everything ok?

treypal

Lord of the Raptors
Reaction score
Not trying to sway votes but, i talked to deaver on the phone. They were really helpful and i explained to him what i was looking for in the leaf spring. He stated that the current models offered might not be the best choice. He followed up by offering to create a custom leaf pack to meet my needs if i provided the info he needed (weight planned to be carried in the bed, height of the truck wanted) and the custom pack would cost no more money. He also helped explain the long term sag in their springs which i think the customer should be informed of before you purchase a pair of leaf springs. Overall great guys, but thats i hear the same thing about the guys from national.

I talked to them too and my set is being built now.

SDHQJASON

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I like this thread. I agree that it's going to be tough at this point to differentiate between the three- it'd take a magazine or some company with the resources and independent 'experts' to start a review. At this point I guess it'll come down to people trickling in with their opinions and experiences.

I've talked to all three companies at some point about their kits. No groundbreaking info, just really the same stuff that they have presented here about why they have designed how they have (encapsulation, bump size, etc), The only shop I haven't been to personally for a one-on-one is RPG, so I know less about them.

With that said until I find out that one is vastly superior to the others I'm going with the RPG kit mainly for the package price of the Stage 3 kit. I have a feeling that all the kits are similar enough that unless I drove all three I probably wouldn't really know the difference (or care). Lol, hopefully I'm right as the long-term testing by us goes on.

I do have a question that has been nagging on me about the SDHQ setup. Maybe I'm looking too much into their wording on the kits webpage, but they mention something along the lines of "you don't need a bump stop kit of *** size" (seemingly referring to the competitor's) with a properly set-up bypass kit. My question is are they saying that the trucks with stock suspension are set up properly, or that with their kit you will need additional suspension work to make everything ok?

We are saying that their is no need for 3"-4" bump stop that is going to be used if you hit a speed bump in the parking lot too fast. The factory rear shocks are an internal bypass shock so they have a small bump zone built into them. Knowing this, we decided to make the bypass much more compact so it isn't used until it is actually needed.

Boss Hoss

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Right, I didnt feel that I needed the springs so I went with the stage 2. I'm sure I will eventually want to do them.

The off road shop that did my instal was very impressed with the RPG kit.

You know after dumping close to another 1k into the beast (diff cover, Amsoil and the Magna Pak, Brite Box and bulbs) I am going to use the RPG product. Going with Stage 3 because I need the springs. My truck is not a mall cruiser lol but seriously sometimes I might have to haul 500 to 800lbs on a full tank of fuel on the ranch. This will finally give me piece of mind.:happy107::happy107:

Got this much tied up in what the hell is a few thousand more!!!!!:crazy:

whisler151

FRF Addict
Reaction score
You know after dumping close to another 1k into the beast (diff cover, Amsoil and the Magna Pak, Brite Box and bulbs) I am going to use the RPG product. Going with Stage 3 because I need the springs. My truck is not a mall cruiser lol but seriously sometimes I might have to haul 500 to 800lbs on a full tank of fuel on the ranch. This will finally give me piece of mind.:happy107::happy107:

Got this much tied up in what the hell is a few thousand more!!!!!:crazy:

Ha! Yeah, I dont feel that I really need the springs now but it sure would be nice to have.

Mine is basically a street queen...although that is only because I dont know where to go to have fun off road...aside from the TX Raptor Run...that will be a blast!