Android Tablet Mounted to dash

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Nacho

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I decided I wasn't going to spend big bucks on a factory nav unit, nor an aftermarket unit either. I think the UI is just ugly on most of them. So I decided to get a (somewhat) inexpensive Android Tablet, a mount, and charger.

I went with the ACER Iconia A500. Snagged it up at Traget for 350 plus tax.
Got a mount and charger from Amazon for about 20 bucks each.
And a suction disk thing for 3 bucks

The tablet runs Honeycomb 3.2 (upgradable to 4.0 ICS)
IMG_0218.png

For Music is use the stock google music app which lets me save files from the google music cloud which I already have set up. Its easy to navigate while driving with big buttons. Holds 16GB internal and a 32GB Max external microSD.

Connected to SYNC by Bluetooth along with my iPhone. I didn't know this, but SYNC can have more than 1 device connected at one time. I can be playing music through the tab and if i get a phone call, it will ring right in. Same goes for outgoing. My next step is too see if i can hook the phone up to the tab and use it as a bridge, so i can see info about the call on it (wishful thinking).

Navigation works very well through the stock google navigation app. The ONLY downside to using it is that it requires a data connection to input an address. Once it gets the route down, its good to go running on no data, only GPS.
IMG_0221.png

IMG_0219.png

Charger fed behind the radio unit. (like in the USB2 mods)
IMG_0220.png

IMG_0222.png

IMG_0223.png

Last edited:

Banned
Reaction score
Good looking setup! I was considering this with my Xoom tablet, but found a 7" stereo for cheap instead

dataustin

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Nacho, it looks good! FYI, I just tried to sync my iPad and I
Phone at the same time.....no joy.

OP
OP
Nacho

Nacho

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Nacho, it looks good! FYI, I just tried to sync my iPad and I
Phone at the same time.....no joy.

Thats weird. I had Sync Recognize the tab first..then turned my iphone bluetooth on. Maybe you can try to hook up the ipad first, start playing a song or something, then turn your iphones bluetooth on.

Highroller

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is the very same idea I had about a month ago. The only thing different is I want to add my backup camera and a front camer to the tablet, but at this time even in Android 4.0 there are no video drivers, so I waitng for a Good Spec, Cheap price, Windows Tablet to hit the market. My son has a 10 inch Android tablet we use in the truck and there is a couple of free navigation apps that work well with the built in GPS. They allow you to enter addresses and change routes on the fly, very near Garmin like. Look in the apps section online, under free apps.

OP
OP
Nacho

Nacho

FRF Addict
Reaction score
This is the very same idea I had about a month ago. The only thing different is I want to add my backup camera and a front camer to the tablet, but at this time even in Android 4.0 there are no video drivers, so I waitng for a Good Spec, Cheap price, Windows Tablet to hit the market. My son has a 10 inch Android tablet we use in the truck and there is a couple of free navigation apps that work well with the built in GPS. They allow you to enter addresses and change routes on the fly, very near Garmin like. Look in the apps section online, under free apps.

Thanks! I've been looking for a self contained GPS app. I'll post what I find.

dataustin

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Thanks Nacho, I will try that combination. FYI, the following is my new screensaver...

Attachments

• IMG_0539.jpg
    IMG_0539.jpg
    90 KB · Views: 98

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bjorn-dpc