Air Intakes

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

justvettn

FRF Addict
Reaction score
never heard of em other than in the import world... pictures?

I became a fan of INJEN when my brother had his 6.1L SRT it had a Mad Max look to it. The one for the Raptor not so much unfortunately but holly crap the Quality is like nothing I have seen on the other CAI. It is made in the USA and the pipe is tuned for the Raptor using MR technology. the tube is a one peace smooth aluminum not welded, others are steel tubes that have rough welds on the inside of the tube. The clamps and hoses are not off the shelf generic cheap parts, you can feel and see the quality and are engraved or stamped with the INJEN logo. Nano fiber filter. It has a cover built in so that it only lets in air from the front and bottom eliminating the Hot Air Intake affect. It uses all three clamps from the OEM box that it connects to along with an existing bolt on the side of the fender. I could go on and on.
P.S. This INJEN CAI is replacing a Brand new AFE which I bought because it seems to be the most popular with the Raptor crowed. I was like a sheep following everyone else, well no longer. I will do my research before buying other modes in the future. LOL!

Ruger

FRF Addict
Reaction score
http://www.fordraptorforum.com/f24/airraid-installation-2011-6-2l-3085/

This is a good write-up on the AIRAID if I do say so myself.

I wouldn't consider the INJEN for two reasons:
- That aluminum alloy intake tube will get hot and the intake air will draw off that heat. Hot air expands and becomes less dense, and that will actually reduce the oxygen entering the engine to support combustion. Next time you go for a drive of any length in your Raptor, pop the hood and put your hand on the intake tube. Rubber, plastic, aluminum, or steel, you will find it very, very warm to the touch. In this application rubber and plastic is superior to metal because it will not absorb or transmit heat to the intake air as readily. Justvettn, you might want to consider insulating that tube as I have done.
- The INJEN design is not a cold air intake. It is wide open to the engine compartment and much of the air sucked into the intake system will be hot engine compartment air.

Last edited:

Reptar

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I stopped reading when you said the pipe was aluminum. They clearly don't know what the first letter of "CAI" stands for if they use a metal tube.

justvettn

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I stopped reading when you said the pipe was aluminum. They clearly don't know what the first letter of "CAI" stands for if they use a metal tube.

Well good for you for not reading! The AFE Has a metal tube that gets hot, A friend of mine has the K&N with cheap looking plastic and guess what that thing gets hot as hell!
So which one do you have that's so great smarty pants?

Netix

Banned
Reaction score
My afe get's kinda hot..... the afe is a metal tube too.... i dont know if you guys run your intake temps but my idles are around 32c . loads can go up to high 50's then back down.

justvettn

FRF Addict
Reaction score
http://www.fordraptorforum.com/f24/airraid-installation-2011-6-2l-3085/

This is a good write-up on the AIRAID if I do say so myself.

I wouldn't consider the INJEN for two reasons:
- That aluminum alloy intake tube will get hot and the intake air will draw off that heat. Hot air expands and becomes less dense, and that will actually reduce the oxygen entering the engine to support combustion. Next time you go for a drive of any length in your Raptor, pop the hood and put your hand on the intake tube. Rubber, plastic, aluminum, or steel, you will find it very, very warm to the touch. In this application rubber and plastic is superior to metal because it will not absorb or transmit heat to the intake air as readily. Justvettn, you might want to consider insulating that tube as I have done.
- The INJEN design is not a cold air intake. It is wide open to the engine compartment and much of the air sucked into the intake system will be hot engine compartment air.

You are wrong the INJEN is not wide open to the engine compartment, it has a built in cover only allowing air to come in from the front and bottom. Insulating it may be a good Idea though not sure, have heard conflicting arguments back and forth on that one.

Ruger

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Not wrong. You are correct in saying that the cover allows air to come in only through the front and bottom, but that air is from behind the radiator inside the engine compartment. In comparison the factory intake takes air only from the inner fender, and actually is a true cold air intake while the INJEN is not.

There are race applications that actively cool the intake in order to maximize the density of the intake air and therefore the oxygen available for combustion. There can be no good reason not to insulate the intake tube except to defend intentionally erroneous marketing hype. In any case, I've had my AIRAID with inslulated intake tube on my 6.2 Raptor for over 20,000 miles with nothing but good results. That experience includes running across I-40 from Alabama to Colorado summer before last when I saw daytime temps as high as 117 degrees.

Last edited:

justvettn

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The argument that I heard was that the insulation will keep the tube cooler longer but once your intake tube does get hot It can't effectively cool itself when it's warped with insulation and will stay hot, and not dissipate the heat.