Air Intakes

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cups

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Airaid is not an "open" filter. The filtration is as good as any. But just like a stock filter, if you don't maintain, bad things happen.

The K&N Filter Charger I ran on my Jeep for 11 years (130k miles), was an open filter. Never had any trouble.

DirtNasty

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Airaid is not an "open" filter. The filtration is as good as any. But just like a stock filter, if you don't maintain, bad things happen.

The K&N Filter Charger I ran on my Jeep for 11 years (130k miles), was an open filter. Never had any trouble.

True, but a donaldson power core the maintenance cycle is 100k (which mine will never last that long, its gonna get swapped LONG before that). That and it does a lot better job at filtering out smaller particles then the multiple layer cotton based filters. (my oil tests will hopefully prove that over time)

---------- Post added at 02:00 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:56 AM ----------

Not why do you think the filters such as the Airraid, or not that great at filtering...say vs the stock filter...

Is this just a hunch or do you have some information that helped you come to the conclusion...

The materials used in the filter are not going to filter out small particles of dust and contaminates. Which when introduces into the combustion chamber will end up in the oils, which will increase contaminates in the oil which means slightly faster wear rates (not a huge deal if kept in check).

Basically i like to drive my truck in the dirt/rain/snow/muck and while i have 0 problems smashing body panels, breaking steering components or other minor stuff i really do take damn good care of my running gear (motor/tranny/diffs/etc). Strong oil filtration plus use of the best oil i can find in combination with top notch air filtration should hopefully give my motor a long life and enable me to see peak performance for my collection of nuts and bolts. :)

BlueSVT

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I replaced my AFE (which was falling apart and always had issues with dirt getting into throttle body) with a Vollant intake with PowerCore filter.

Hands down, the Vollant intake with PowerCore filter is the intake I'd suggest. I've had probably 20,000 off road miles with my truck now... The AFE simply didn't prevent all dirt from getting into the intake, and also started to fall apart. The Vollant seems like much higher quality materials, and after the Land Rush 1000 (where I chased in the very back the whole time, in the dust), there wasn't a SPEC of dirt inside the intake! Nor did I lose power due to dust in the filter, like I always did with the AFE.

My recommendation would be Vollant, 100%.

DirtNasty

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Not why do you think the filters such as the Airraid, or not that great at filtering...say vs the stock filter...

Is this just a hunch or do you have some information that helped you come to the conclusion...

Vs stock i think the paper elements will do a bit better job filtering out smaller particles then the cotton goze based elements. They are going to let larger particles thru the elements, its by design that is why some of the older "oil" based filters use oil, its to function as a mechanism to attract and capture those "medium" sized particles in the filter element. That is why they have you re-oil/clean those type of elements. The dry cotton based elements end up just using multiple layers of cotton goz i believe that filter a bit better then the "high flow oil+cotton" elements.

I would love to see someone with some of these other filters do a series of oil tests over a long period of time. It would be great to have solid data to back up my "theories".

Yokota

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I guess I'm the only ass hole with a K&N intake. O well. Lol

Not any more. Just finished replacing my factory setup with a K&N CAI. After a short test drive to ensure everything works and no rattles or loose parts, only one word - WOW! When I put my foot down it reminds me of the same sound I used to get with my 1970 Dodge Charger R/T w/440 CID and a four barrel. That deep "Whooop" is so much sweeter than the factory sound. Took a short drive where I know what I usually get for average mpg and yikes!!! I am looking at 2+ mpg better than stock. This is driving the speed limit and using cruise control. Will install my BAKFlip F1 next week and again see if mpg improves. I've used K&N filters on all my cars/trucks/bikes in the past and have always found them to be high quality. I proudly join the '*******' crowd. Easy to install and well made.