Advice on cleaning Method wheels

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

FullAuto

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Mine look like crap....sort of a white haze to them. I can't get it off with adams car wash.

LekRap

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I powder coated them black before I originally mounted them. I always thought the finish on Methods had a still dirty look. Don't get me wrong, I love my Methods and feel that they are the best wheels on the market for our trucks. I'd suggest powder coating them if you get sick of the finish...we'll worth the $50 a wheel

Surf City Garage

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Mine look like crap....sort of a white haze to them. I can't get it off with adams car wash.

For whatever reason that finish seems to hold onto everything - including wax from quick detailers, or just minerals from your water, and residues from other cleaners.

If they look chalky/hazy try a wash with something that will break down waxes and other residues. Something like our surface prep wash will work, but you can also try something as simple as original blue dawn dish soap.

Afterwards, as weird as this sounds, try applying a highly diluted mixture of a water based tire or trim dressing to them. It will help even them out. I've been using a 3:1 mix of our Exterior Trim Conditioner on matte wheels like a quick detailer. Leaves them dark, not greasy or shiny, and even looking.

Mad Max

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is what I use on my tires and Method NV's. Just spray it on the wheels and wipe it off.

2780_lg.jpg

TheJoker

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I powder coated them black before I originally mounted them. I always thought the finish on Methods had a still dirty look. Don't get me wrong, I love my Methods and feel that they are the best wheels on the market for our trucks. I'd suggest powder coating them if you get sick of the finish...we'll worth the $50 a wheel

The going rate around here is $200 per wheel wether it's paint or powder coat. The lowest I found, recently, is $100 per wheel for powder coat. You also take a chance that the wheels get damaged during the heat process and possible chipping down the road. Powder coating aluminum wheels should only be done by someone with experience.

LekRap

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Huh, I heard from multiple powder coaters around here that $50 a wheel is standard and none of them had any sort of questions or concerns about the aluminum. They all acted like it was very easy and straight forward. Can't completely speak to the chipping, it's only been 3 months, but so far I have zero signs of it. Before I bought the wheels, I asked the guys from method face to face about powder coating their wheels and they said people did it all the time and had great success with it. Like any mod, I guess you take some chances, but I haven't experienced any signs of any negatives.

TheJoker

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Huh, I heard from multiple powder coaters around here that $50 a wheel is standard and none of them had any sort of questions or concerns about the aluminum. They all acted like it was very easy and straight forward. Can't completely speak to the chipping, it's only been 3 months, but so far I have zero signs of it. Before I bought the wheels, I asked the guys from method face to face about powder coating their wheels and they said people did it all the time and had great success with it. Like any mod, I guess you take some chances, but I haven't experienced any signs of any negatives.

Earlier this summer I purchased a set of used, machined NV's, thinking I could have them powder coated matte black. I spoke with 4 people who specialize in powder coating. After all was said and done, I ended up selling those and buying new matte black NV's for less than what the used ones would have cost me. I wasn't trying rain on your parade, just trying to share my experience.

I do know someone who does powder coating, and would give me a deal. But, he doesn't have experience with aluminum wheels.

Last edited:

LekRap

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not raining on my parade....won't be raining unless they start chipping! But it's good to give everyone a heads up and things to consider if they do powder coat them. I'm ok with the chance I took. So far, so good! I pressure wash the truck too and have blasted the wheels pretty decent and everything is holding up great so far. For $200 a wheel, id be nervous, but paying $200 total, I could always get them redone down the line if I had to. I don't foresee that tho.