Add me to the cam phaser list, also a positive dealership story!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Joey DeLorenzo

Reaction score
BLUF: If you live in Jacksonville area, I whole heartedly recommend Bozard Ford in Saint Augustine.

Was going to ze old girl in for a sun roof leak (When I say "leak", I mean "jet of water being shot at me" from the rearview mirror) and an A/C deodorize because my A/C smelled like a litterbox. To my dismay I was told by a couple dealers in Jacksonville area off the bat that I was going to pay to for pretty much everything even with ESP, Premium Care, etc etc. My previous experience with Jacksonville dealers was, let's say subpar, so I decided to see if the dealer almost an hour away was better.

Yes, yes it was.

My service rep first said "Well, bring it in and we'll look at covering everything under Premium Care if we can." No guarantees but definitely a positive outlook. When I got there he asked if there was anything else I could possibly think of wrong with the vehicle they should look at. I said maybe a small whine on start up but that seems insignificant. I got a call the next day saying they had diagnosed everything and that the sunroof rails were actually broken and it would be covered under the ESP...and then..."Oh and also your cam phasers are bad and need to replaced." The VERY next day (2pm-ish) I got a call saying "Our technicians stayed late last night and came in early today and your truck is ready for pick up."

I returned the loaner they gave me (A 2020 XL F-150 with a 5.0 Coyote, not the most luxurious but hey, THEY GAVE ME A LOANER AND HAD IT READY WHEN I GOT THERE, which is more than the Jax dealership could do) and I hopped in my freshly washed, freshly detailed, Raptor, and drove.

Drove 45 minutes home, thought I noticed a smoother ride, checked the repair sheet, saw "Reprogrammed PCM". Didn't even ask for that, but they did it!

Side note: The 5.0 Coyote is neat. That truck felt quick. I mean I know on paper our Raptor's beat the socks off Coyote motors but darn did it feel good. First V8 I've driven. Makes me wonder how a 6.2 would be....:emotions33:

Also since I always post a picture, here is post operation, back in suburbia:
truck.jpg

Badgertits

FRF Addict
Reaction score
BLUF: If you live in Jacksonville area, I whole heartedly recommend Bozard Ford in Saint Augustine.

Was going to ze old girl in for a sun roof leak (When I say "leak", I mean "jet of water being shot at me" from the rearview mirror) and an A/C deodorize because my A/C smelled like a litterbox. To my dismay I was told by a couple dealers in Jacksonville area off the bat that I was going to pay to for pretty much everything even with ESP, Premium Care, etc etc. My previous experience with Jacksonville dealers was, let's say subpar, so I decided to see if the dealer almost an hour away was better.

Yes, yes it was.

My service rep first said "Well, bring it in and we'll look at covering everything under Premium Care if we can." No guarantees but definitely a positive outlook. When I got there he asked if there was anything else I could possibly think of wrong with the vehicle they should look at. I said maybe a small whine on start up but that seems insignificant. I got a call the next day saying they had diagnosed everything and that the sunroof rails were actually broken and it would be covered under the ESP...and then..."Oh and also your cam phasers are bad and need to replaced." The VERY next day (2pm-ish) I got a call saying "Our technicians stayed late last night and came in early today and your truck is ready for pick up."

I returned the loaner they gave me (A 2020 XL F-150 with a 5.0 Coyote, not the most luxurious but hey, THEY GAVE ME A LOANER AND HAD IT READY WHEN I GOT THERE, which is more than the Jax dealership could do) and I hopped in my freshly washed, freshly detailed, Raptor, and drove.

Drove 45 minutes home, thought I noticed a smoother ride, checked the repair sheet, saw "Reprogrammed PCM". Didn't even ask for that, but they did it!

Side note: The 5.0 Coyote is neat. That truck felt quick. I mean I know on paper our Raptor's beat the socks off Coyote motors but darn did it feel good. First V8 I've driven. Makes me wonder how a 6.2 would be....:emotions33:

Also since I always post a picture, here is post operation, back in suburbia:
View attachment 153082

Good news- why did you do the cam phaser repair tired of clatter @ startup or actually had a CEL or performance issue? I have a rattle sometimes I know it’s cam phaser chain but don’t wanna bother w/ it unless it’s major.

FYI- biggest reason you may have felt a difference in the 5.0 XL is weight- both the weight of the actual vehicle (a strippy reg F150 gonna weigh good bit less than a loaded Raptor) & then especially the unsprung weight of the wheels & wimpy tires on the XL.

1 lb of unsprung weight equates to roughly 5 lbs of sprung weight- I wouldn’t be at all surprised if the difference per corner on that XL F150 (on 18s I assume?) vs your Raptor is 20-25 lbs x 4 x 5 = the “feel” of 4-500 extra lbs to move around.

bet you’re not tuned tho....in that case EVERY other 1/2 ton will feel sluggish in comparison lol

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Glad to hear a good dealership experience! As others mentioned, did you have a rattle/clatter noise on cold start? As far as the PCM update, that is part of the camshaft phaser repair TSB.

As @Badgertits mentioned, there is a huge difference in both curb weight and unsprung weight between a F-150 XL and a Raptor. If you put the 5.0 in the Raptor, it would be a dog compared to the stock engine. Same with the 6.2, it has much less power and torque and a narrower curve than the 3.5 HO.

OP
OP
Joey DeLorenzo

Joey DeLorenzo

Reaction score
Glad to hear a good dealership experience! As others mentioned, did you have a rattle/clatter noise on cold start? As far as the PCM update, that is part of the camshaft phaser repair TSB.

As @Badgertits mentioned, there is a huge difference in both curb weight and unsprung weight between a F-150 XL and a Raptor. If you put the 5.0 in the Raptor, it would be a dog compared to the stock engine. Same with the 6.2, it has much less power and torque and a narrower curve than the 3.5 HO.
Good news- why did you do the cam phaser repair tired of clatter @ startup or actually had a CEL or performance issue? I have a rattle sometimes I know it’s cam phaser chain but don’t wanna bother w/ it unless it’s major.

FYI- biggest reason you may have felt a difference in the 5.0 XL is weight- both the weight of the actual vehicle (a strippy reg F150 gonna weigh good bit less than a loaded Raptor) & then especially the unsprung weight of the wheels & wimpy tires on the XL.

1 lb of unsprung weight equates to roughly 5 lbs of sprung weight- I wouldn’t be at all surprised if the difference per corner on that XL F150 (on 18s I assume?) vs your Raptor is 20-25 lbs x 4 x 5 = the “feel” of 4-500 extra lbs to move around.

bet you’re not tuned tho....in that case EVERY other 1/2 ton will feel sluggish in comparison lol

@FordTechOne @Badgertits I didn't have a rattle/clatter just a mild whine, like a rubbing. I told them, they diagnosed it and determined cam phasers.

@Badgertits I'm not tuned yet....I've been playing with the idea, but I don't know if I'm ready to take that jump...

@FordTechOne I get the weight part. There was NOTHING in that truck to speak of besides two benches and some electronics lol. It was a super crew though.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
@FordTechOne @Badgertits I didn't have a rattle/clatter just a mild whine, like a rubbing. I told them, they diagnosed it and determined cam phasers.

Strange, as phasers typically only fail in one of two ways - a failed locking pin (rattle on cold start) or a vane issue (erratic operation and timing related DTCs.) Maybe they found an issue that gave them reason to replace them, hard to know without additional details.

@FordTechOne I get the weight part. There was NOTHING in that truck to speak of besides two benches and some electronics lol. It was a super crew though.

That's exactly it. A friend of mine purchased a 2018 F-150 Standard Cab Short Bed XLT 4x4 with the 5.0 and 10 speed, that thing was a monster. Definitely felt faster than a Raptor, as it had 400HP and only weighed 4500lbs, which is about 1300lbs less than a SuperCrew Raptor but down only 50HP.

Last edited:

Blade

Reaction score
I will second your experience. I live in Ponte Vedra and Bozard is quite a trek for me too. I have had a near perfect experience with Bozard. Alex and Matt have been fantastic. I took my Raptor in for the first time for a free “1st responder” oil change promotion and a service visit. Had the engine light come on...turned out to be a bad Cat Conv and needed to be back ordered. I must say the trip to have Cat Con replaced was not as smooth... too much to go into, but suffice it to say that I received some damage to the paint on my passenger door while at the dealer. I was not happy, but they didn’t argue and the bent over backwards to make it right and repair it. The communication was excellent and they were very professional. All things considered, a much better experience than I am used to from other dealerships I have done business with (Jeep, Audi, and Honda). Thank you Alex and Matt!! I will definitely be continuing to take my truck there. And I would purchase a vehicle there if I choose to buy another Ford.

MDJAK

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I had a 2017 Raptor followed by a 2018 Platinum, same engine. I then went to a 2019 Raptor and I was certain the 2018 Platinum felt quite a bit quicker. Absolutely no doubt it was due to the narrower tires and the overall weight.

BTW, is the cam phaser issue still extant in the late produced 2020?