A New Leak! (I checked) Advice needed

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Joey DeLorenzo

Reaction score
Back in September (R.O Open 09/30/20) I took the Raptor in a pretty gnarly leak (Water coming out from the Rear View Mirror, like a stream, soaking me and the center console). Dealer replaced the sunroof tracks under warranty (Yay!) and the dealer also found cam phasers and did those as well in 3 days (and I got a loaner).

Yesterday, after it had sat the rain all morning, I got the same rearview mirror leak as I pulled away, but this time I also had a driver side, A pillar, hand hold leak. Again, a stream of water pouring out now soaking my other leg.....send help....obviously going back to dealership, but should I be worried about additional damage to...the headliner, the a pillar trim, the body? Yes aluminum doesn't rust, but mold can form....

This was the first time I wasn't able to park under a covered portion during rain since my usual spot in the complex was taken....

I really wish it didn't do this because besides this foible I have no issues with the vehicle, although, getting soaked every time it rains with moderate strength will get annoying.

Thank you for coming to my TED talk, also here's photo hauling a weird salvaged grill since I always do a photo:

20201018_155343.jpg

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
Yesterday, after it had sat the rain all morning, I got the same rearview mirror leak as I pulled away, but this time I also had a driver side, A pillar, hand hold leak

I’ve not had this, knock on wood, but it has been pretty ubiquitously reported as a clogged drain for the moon roof resulting in the a-pillar leak.

should I be worried about additional damage to...the headliner, the a pillar trim, the body?

I’d definitely be concerned about it.

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
First off, that really sucks, always worse is a reoccurring problem. Have the dealer check for mold in the carpet, and headliner. There is usually only mold in an area where standing water can sit, so not likely anywhere else. Sounds like you have a good dealer that will take care of you, so you have that going to look forward to. Keep us posted. And with pics.....

Swaddict

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As far as damage to the headliner, I wouldn't be as concerned in terms of mold, etc. I also have a 2019 F350 dually work truck, besides a Raptor that developed and really bad water leak in the headliner. The 3rd brake light was the culprit. At my dealership, all water leaks are handled by a 3rd party vendor that comes once per week to dealership. Of course, my trouble started the day after he came. I ended up driving to their shop and repair was fixed in minutes. I had same concerns about the headliner being damaged and was told that it gets really hot in the roof and the heat would dry out the headliner rather quickly. I did have my concerns noted in service history. I would be concerned with a pillar leak and damage to carpet.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Do you frequently park in areas where debris from trees lands on your truck? As mentioned, if the sunroof drains get plugged up, it can result in a water leak.

OP
OP
Joey DeLorenzo

Joey DeLorenzo

Reaction score
Thank you for the advice so far guys! I'll keep you all posted.

Do you frequently park in areas where debris from trees lands on your truck? As mentioned, if the sunroof drains get plugged up, it can result in a water leak.

I don't! 90% its in a parking garage under a roof, the other ten percent is spent in a parking lot during work or parked in the same parking garage previously mentioned just not under a roof but around 0 trees.

Todd Turbo S

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Back in September (R.O Open 09/30/20) I took the Raptor in a pretty gnarly leak (Water coming out from the Rear View Mirror, like a stream, soaking me and the center console). Dealer replaced the sunroof tracks under warranty (Yay!) and the dealer also found cam phasers and did those as well in 3 days (and I got a loaner).

Yesterday, after it had sat the rain all morning, I got the same rearview mirror leak as I pulled away, but this time I also had a driver side, A pillar, hand hold leak. Again, a stream of water pouring out now soaking my other leg.....send help....obviously going back to dealership, but should I be worried about additional damage to...the headliner, the a pillar trim, the body? Yes aluminum doesn't rust, but mold can form....

This was the first time I wasn't able to park under a covered portion during rain since my usual spot in the complex was taken....

I really wish it didn't do this because besides this foible I have no issues with the vehicle, although, getting soaked every time it rains with moderate strength will get annoying.

Thank you for coming to my TED talk, also here's photo hauling a weird salvaged grill since I always do a photo:

View attachment 158199
Sorry to hear about this...keep track of the number of times you take it in to be fixed, if the problem isn't corrected after the 3rd time, start the Lemon Law buy back.