6.2l whistle

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Andy2675

Reaction score
Does anyone have a whistle when in the throttle in the 1600-2000 rpm range? (No, obviously not a S/C) It's got to be a throttle body/intake deal. It goes away as soon as you lift so not a pulley bearing I would assume. It's a little better when at full temp, but when cold, it's really audible. Doesn't seem to effect anything, no cel, 15.5mpg average just really annoying. Any ideas?

MurderedOutSVT

Brodozin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Gonna need a vid or recording of that. I can only hear blower whine but have never heard anyone speak of a whistle. My 98 had a whistle but is was a t-body spacer

OP
OP
Andy2675

Andy2675

Reaction score
Gonna need a vid or recording of that. I can only hear blower whine but have never heard anyone speak of a whistle. My 98 had a whistle but is was a t-body spacer
I'll see if I can get the video to pick it up. Windows down you can hear it clear as day in the first 15 mins of driving but obviously wind noise would be too much on a video.

W0n70n

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you let it idle and spray brake clean near the intake joints, not the filter, the engine will surge if it's pulling in air from after the inlet. The resonator etc could be leaking and whistling.

MurderedOutSVT

Brodozin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah bud, never heard of a whistle thing. I'd look all over the intake hoses and areas. Its sucking air (giggity) from somewhere that aint right

Mayeb @Old-Raptor-guy or @FordTechOne might have some insight

Last edited:

Old-Raptor-guy

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The brake clean/carb cleaner trick doesn't work anymore. The computers are so fast at compensating/adjusting fuel. Also computer, is extremely sensitive to air leaks and would flag a check engine light.

My bet would be a leak in the exhaust, most likely the at the manifold and cylinder head.

See it alot on almost every engine made. Exhaust manifold warps a little and at the right Exhaust flow it whistles.

When the manifold heats up, the expansion causes the manifold to seal back up to the cylinder head. See it almost weekly.

OP
OP
Andy2675

Andy2675

Reaction score
The brake clean/carb cleaner trick doesn't work anymore. The computers are so fast at compensating/adjusting fuel. Also computer, is extremely sensitive to air leaks and would flag a check engine light.

My bet would be a leak in the exhaust, most likely the at the manifold and cylinder head.

See it alot on almost every engine made. Exhaust manifold warps a little and at the right Exhaust flow it whistles.

When the manifold heats up, the expansion causes the manifold to seal back up to the cylinder head. See it almost weekly.
I suspected there would be a CEL if AFR were being affected from unmetered air but I wasn't sure how sensitive it is. Maybe just some long tube headers will solve the issue then lol

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
khunter