6.2l AFE Intakes @ SDHQ

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SLB8SNK

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Old school speed density systems have computer controlled fuel injection - but they have a pre programmed MAP built in that does not change. But adding more air and better flowing exhaust will help.

Later model Mass Air Flow systems have many more inputs for the computer that change and compensate accordingly. These newer computers have MAP programs that "learn" the vehicle and adjust accordingly. Including more air, different fuel better exhaust etc.

Interesting indeed, thanks for the lesson. I was not aware of a self learning system for changes as stated. I know for my GT500 the CAI involved a pretty detailed tune in order for it to all work, thus where I got my knowledge base from. Funny that two short years ago this was required and now it is not.

SLB8SNK

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Old school speed density systems have computer controlled fuel injection - but they have a pre programmed MAP built in that does not change. But adding more air and better flowing exhaust will help.

Later model Mass Air Flow systems have many more inputs for the computer that change and compensate accordingly. These newer computers have MAP programs that "learn" the vehicle and adjust accordingly. Including more air, different fuel better exhaust etc.

Interesting indeed, thanks for the lesson. I was not aware of a self learning system for changes as stated. I know for my GT500 the CAI involved a pretty detailed tune in order for it to all work, thus where I got my knowledge base from. Funny that two short years ago this was required and now it is not.

SOCOMech

Famous Raptor
Reaction score

As when the '05 Mustangs came out with the Spanish Oak processors, you can search all day on Mustang forums and find that the majority of them since that time have needed a tune with a CAI. I hope this ends up working out though.

SOCOMech

Famous Raptor
Reaction score

As when the '05 Mustangs came out with the Spanish Oak processors, you can search all day on Mustang forums and find that the majority of them since that time have needed a tune with a CAI. I hope this ends up working out though.

MarkT

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Personally, I don't believe we are at a point yet where the vehicle computers can compensate or "learn" to compensate for all mods... there are still limits programmed in, if nothing else... and perhaps always will be. (I can think of several very good reasons a manufacturer would limit the amount of compensation the computer can provide)

But back on topic... nice air intake set up! :thumbsup:

MarkT

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Personally, I don't believe we are at a point yet where the vehicle computers can compensate or "learn" to compensate for all mods... there are still limits programmed in, if nothing else... and perhaps always will be. (I can think of several very good reasons a manufacturer would limit the amount of compensation the computer can provide)

SLB8SNK

Full Access Member
Reaction score

+100

Talon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nice intake, but still not for me. The angle of slope on that box still allows for hot air and other elements to enter the box/filter. that and i dont have a 6.2!