5 Star tune & custom tune on dyno

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
Not sure why the trans programs are different on their tunes but the off-road tune is much smoother shifting. The 93 performance tune has a rougher shift feel and seems to sometimes not know what gear it wants.

I've only done a couple full pulls so far but it is more linear to redline

did they give you A/F graphs too? I’d liked to see the air/fuel on that graph.

You got power everywhere but up top is big.

Guy

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I thought that at first too...

But I think it's the way the dyno pulls were done. Let's just say I think they tried harder on the run with their tune...

They want to sell their tunes.... so you're not going to get a 100 percent side by side comparison...

Little machine bias if you will

That being said.... remember... horsepower is calculated from torque. The dyno measures torque.... notice that the torque "peak number were almost identical within the margin of error...

Torque x RPM /5252

If you look they are almost identical at 3000 RPM and then again at 4000 RPM...

I think their custom tune is definitely more of a finer tune... little smoother.... but in a drag race... I doubt you're going to see much difference.

And I don't mean to bag on our original poster. I am glad he's happy with what they did and it looks like they did a nice job, but he probably didn't get his money's worth redoing what he already had. That being said... I appreciate that he posted the data and I love analyzing it.

CSJr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got the Raptor tuned by a local shop today (Injected Engineering in Kennesaw GA).

Pretty sure we passed by a couple of weeks ago on GA120! As for the shop, do they offer warranty like 5 star? Frankly, I am getting a little tired of waiting for FP to show their tune. This local shop may be an option.

OP
OP
S

shunderwunder

Reaction score

I didn't ask for one

---------- Post added at 07:00 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:55 PM ----------

I thought that at first too...

But I think it's the way the dyno pulls were done. Let's just say I think they tried harder on the run with their tune...

They want to sell their tunes.... so you're not going to get a 100 percent side by side comparison...

Little machine bias if you will

That being said.... remember... horsepower is calculated from torque. The dyno measures torque.... notice that the torque "peak number were almost identical within the margin of error...

Torque x RPM /5252

If you look they are almost identical at 3000 RPM and then again at 4000 RPM...

I think their custom tune is definitely more of a finer tune... little smoother.... but in a drag race... I doubt you're going to see much difference.

And I don't mean to bag on our original poster. I am glad he's happy with what they did and it looks like they did a nice job, but he probably didn't get his money's worth redoing what he already had. That being said... I appreciate that he posted the data and I love analyzing it.

I'm sure it's possible that they could have tried to make their tune look better but I don't believe so. it isn't a night and day difference but I can feel it and it is smoother. Is it worth the additional cost?, that's debatable. Overall I'm happier with the truck right now so it's worth it to me. Don't get me wrong, I'm not knocking on the 5 Star tune. It is a nice upgrade for sure.

---------- Post added at 07:04 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:00 PM ----------

Pretty sure we passed by a couple of weeks ago on GA120! As for the shop, do they offer warranty like 5 star? Frankly, I am getting a little tired of waiting for FP to show their tune. This local shop may be an option.

Didn't even know 5 Star offered a warranty. I doubt this shop offers a warranty but who knows. Most performance shops don't warranty mods but usually will warranty workmanship. I'm guessing they stand behind their services within reason.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score

I didn’t ask for one

I would take a look at the A/F up top, particularly where the stock and 5star begin to sign off and yours keeps holding on.

It’s no secret the a/f on supernaturally aspirated engines are usually quite fat, by design, I’m just wanting to know how far they took the tune away from stock with the fuel.

OP
OP
S

shunderwunder

Reaction score
I would take a look at the A/F up top, particularly where the stock and 5star begin to sign off and yours keeps holding on.

It’s no secret the a/f on supernaturally aspirated engines are usually quite fat, by design, I’m just wanting to know how far they took the tune away from stock with the fuel.

I've been contemplating getting a wideband to monitor/log AF ratio anyway but I'll see if they keep logs and possibly have it on file.

Micha

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did they at all tell you how much of the stock fuel system was being used?

I am interested for a couple of other reasons.