2017 Supercab Ride Quality

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
T

Tourbill0n

Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestions everyone. I took it to a Ford dealer this morning that has a road force balancer and the service advisor took a ride with me and did mention the truck feels a lot stiffer than he expected for the 2017 model and that it had quite a bit of bounce. He didn't recommend that I get a road force balance as he didn't think that would solve the problem and instead contact the dealer I purchased it from and have them try and diagnose if it's normal or not.

---------- Post added at 05:59 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:55 PM ----------

Running 40 psi cold. 900 miles of street / moderate dirt trails so id consider it broken in.

There are certain lanes at certain speeds, 60-80, that put the truck into a mini sine wave. For me its just a combination of road and suspension. If change lanes, or a new part of freeway comes up it goes away.

I did get a road force balance done for peace of mind and it improved things overall. The lefts were 1-2 oz off, one right wheel was dead on and the other right wheel had the correct weight but the weight was on the wrong side of the barrel...

I believe I'm feeling the same thing on certain stretches of highways. It seems to happen really often though.

mr_beaverhousen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestions everyone. I took it to a Ford dealer this morning that has a road force balancer and the service advisor took a ride with me and did mention the truck feels a lot stiffer than he expected for the 2017 model and that it had quite a bit of bounce. He didn't recommend that I get a road force balance as he didn't think that would solve the problem and instead contact the dealer I purchased it from and have them

This is the BS that drives me insane. If the dealer that you took it to feels that it isn't normal, they should be diagnosing it regardless of where you purchased the truck. You are under the 3 year/36k warranty period. ANY Ford dealer should repair the issue and not be passing the buck. You need to do whatever you feel comfortable with but if I got that response I would have been pissed.

Last edited:
OP
OP
T

Tourbill0n

Reaction score
This is the BS that drives me insane. If the dealer that you took it to feels that it isn't normal, they should be diagnosing it regardless of where you purchased the truck. You are under the 3 year/36k warranty period. ANY Ford dealer should repair the issue and should not be passing the buck. You need to do whatever you feel comfortable with but if I got that response I would have been pissed.

I agree. When I told him I wanted the tires road forced, he looked a bit surprised and mentioned they hardly ever do that.

My dealer doesn't have a road force balancer, but I'm taking it tomorrow and will see what they say.

Robtor310

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestions everyone. I took it to a Ford dealer this morning that has a road force balancer and the service advisor took a ride with me and did mention the truck feels a lot stiffer than he expected for the 2017 model and that it had quite a bit of bounce. He didn't recommend that I get a road force balance as he didn't think that would solve the problem and instead contact the dealer I purchased it from and have them try and diagnose if it's normal or not.

---------- Post added at 05:59 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:55 PM ----------

I believe I'm feeling the same thing on certain stretches of highways. It seems to happen really often though.

Ok, curious to hear what they have to say.
Let us know.

HGguy

Reaction score
I have a Scab with 2800 miles (all highway) and it bounces all over the road when encountering expansion joints. No big deal when going straight but cornering is down right scary. I haven't lowered the tire pressure yet (42 per the TPMS reading). Someone else has a thread on this same subject. Love to hear what your dealer comes up with

SZDZMTR

FRF Addict
Reaction score
My 2011 Scab with miles in the 30s that I sold last year had the same problem. I ended up putting +2 deavers and that calmed it down somewhat. I believe the shorter wheel base was a major factor. With the 2013 Screw when I just bought it and it was 100% stock, the longer wheel base was way forgiving and the "donkey kick" became the thing of the past. After we transferred the +2 deavers and rebuilt the shocks this thing is just planted.

CatchMeOffroad

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a Scab with 2800 miles (all highway) and it bounces all over the road when encountering expansion joints. No big deal when going straight but cornering is down right scary. I haven't lowered the tire pressure yet (42 per the TPMS reading). Someone else has a thread on this same subject. Love to hear what your dealer comes up with

All 2015+ (Aluminum) F-150s have this tendency. It is not specific to the Raptor, or the SCAB configuration.

HGguy

Reaction score
I hear you. I came from a 2006 scab with 6.5' bed so no real issue with that. The raptor scab is 5.5' bed meaning 133 in. wheelbase vs 145. Add (subtract) aluminum body handling is bound to be different. Not to bash the truck because I love this thing. Just wish I could keep it glued to the road a little better when hitting those sloppy expansion joints that seem so prevalent on NJ roads. I guess I could slow down but who wants to do that

utsteve98

Reaction score
Your best bet is to find another SCAB owner and ride in theres. I think bounciness is all relative. I'd say my SCAB is super smooth (for a 4WD pickup), but someone else may believe it's a stagecoach. If you notice a difference between 2 SCAB raptors, then there is a problem.