2016 [2017*] Raptor test mule spy shots

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sabumaru

FRF Addict
Reaction score
This seems the wrong place for your build specs. I don't think anyone will dispute that an Ecoboost could perform, the reason I personally wouldn't want one is because to me, it over complicates things. A turbo setup is just added heat and another system that can go down on you. With the 6.2 it's just a motor, sure it can still shit on you, but it's less likely given the simplicity.
So true

But lets not forget the turbo also helps transport billions of tons of goods across the globe
And
Factory installed stuf will be build better then aftermarket. Build for 100+K miles
Not to bash aftermarket.. but hard to compare a hernecess setup with a ford factory eco-beast

In the desert i would 100% support you
With a combo of lil play and daily driving...clocking 20k miles a year
I would like the switch combo of power and economics

If its a 5.4 ecoboost like some speculate
Then we are screwed both way's
But will have massive fun while it lasts

ZaneMasterX

FRF Addict
Reaction score
So true

But lets not forget the turbo also helps transport billions of tons of goods across the globe
And
Factory installed stuf will be build better then aftermarket. Build for 100+K miles
Not to bash aftermarket.. but hard to compare a hernecess setup with a ford factory eco-beast

In the desert i would 100% support you
With a combo of lil play and daily driving...clocking 20k miles a year
I would like the switch combo of power and economics

If its a 5.4 ecoboost like some speculate
Then we are screwed both way's
But will have massive fun while it lasts

100% agree. If the turbo was a new technology I would be skeptical of its reliability but it has a proven track record to show they are very reliable.

Yes, adding more parts adds more to complexity of the design but thats typically not a bad thing.

People will argue "Well Raptor owners abuse their trucks in bad environments which will ruin a turbo." Most high performance rally cars today are turbo charged and most will see more abuse in a single race than a Raptor will see in its lifetime.

I personally cant wait for the next Raptor to be turbo charged just so it rustles everyones jimmies. Then everyone will fall in love with it and we can tell all the haters "I told you so."

The Macf

FRF Addict
Reaction score
People will argue "Well Raptor owners abuse their trucks in bad environments which will ruin a turbo." Most high performance rally cars today are turbo charged and most will see more abuse in a single race than a Raptor will see in its lifetime.

I've been waiting for someone to say this. How often does a professional "turbo" race engine get rebuild? After every race? Every other race?

Pretty sure Ford is not going to warranty and rebuild engines after every Raptor run.

sabumaru

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I've been waiting for someone to say this. How often does a professional "turbo" race engine get rebuild? After every race? Every other race?

Pretty sure Ford is not going to warranty and rebuild engines after every Raptor run.

How about Dakar ??

And with turbo diesels running 1.000.000 miles without a serieus rebuild
Why would a turbo petrol not run 250.000 miles ?

Question
What is the track record of the ECO-boost ?
Year / Miles etc ?

ZaneMasterX

FRF Addict
Reaction score

Of coarse you were because its an obvious rebuttal but lets switch gears away from the race built motors and look at long haul trucks. I personally worked for a company that had a couple trucks with over 500k miles on the original turbo. There is absolutely zero reasons why a turbo gas motor in a consumer truck wont be reliable.

Jimbo

Mad Frog Mattis
Reaction score
The difference is use. If used for race/heavy offroading - the engines/turbos are gone through after every run or every few runs. From a reliability perspective, you can't have something pumping crazy power and expect it to be reliable. You have to find the mixed-use application that has enough power, but can sustain the intent and use of the vehicle.

The Macf

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Of coarse you were because its an obvious rebuttal but lets switch gears away from the race built motors and look at long haul trucks. I personally worked for a company that had a couple trucks with over 500k miles on the original turbo. There is absolutely zero reasons why a turbo gas motor in a consumer truck wont be reliable.

Long haul truck with 12+ gears and easy throttle/revs, mostly driven on highways.

Raptor gas engine with full throttle starts, high revs, mostly driven over who knows.

Darthyota

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Long haul truck with 12+ gears and easy throttle/revs, mostly driven on highways.

Raptor gas engine with full throttle starts, high revs, mostly driven over who knows.

maybe in europe but not here in alberta. big trucks here aren't driven nicely at all and give raptors a run for their money on where they will and shouldn't go

Jimbo

Mad Frog Mattis
Reaction score
maybe in europe but not here in alberta. big trucks here aren't driven nicely at all and give raptors a run for their money on where they will and shouldn't go

But we get back into intended use. You don't see a guy driving a bushwacking semi, trailering furniture here in the US. But you do see them on the ice-roads. Nor do you see a full size sleeper Volvo on the ice roads. It's all about purpose and design. I'm not saying you couldn't, but that isn't the intended design or use.

Darthyota

Full Access Member
Reaction score
im not talking on ice roads either and i have seen a volvo sleeper go bushwacking here, maybe not hauling furniture but equipment or office trailers