GEN 2 18 Months of Raptor Ownership, summized.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dspangler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
14 months of ownership, took the truck home with less than 50 miles on the ODO from the dealer.

42k miles later, running on 37's, springs, e50 tuned, etc., and not one single issue with anything (knock on wood).

I don't look at mpg anymore since I get an average of 11.5 mpg in commiefornia gas prices.

I do all the modifications, installs, maintenance, fluids, filters, tire rotations, etc. on the truck. This will never be taken to a dealership or a shop as I know how they operate there.

Thank you for the review, hopefully the raptor ownership experience is better for you next year :)
Whew... don't let these guys hear the MPG:) Nobody wants to talk real world MPG on these because they really are the same as what the TRX gets in real world:)

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Whew... don't let these guys hear the MPG:) Nobody wants to talk real world MPG on these because they really are the same as what the TRX gets in real world:)
He’s running 37’s with a lift and an e50 tune…that is why he’s getting Gen 1/TRX MPG figures. Stock Gen 2/3 trucks get 15-19 MPG…I just did 18.9 on a 600 mile trip. You wouldn’t know, because you don’t own a Raptor.

Mister Pinky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You would think a diesel would be more economical on fuel but it really isn’t. 10k motor cost will buy you a lot of gas and maintenance costs are a *****. Knock your top speed down and use cruise more often. The truck is capable of more.

Alysium

Full Access Member
Reaction score
He’s running 37’s with a lift and an e50 tune…that is why he’s getting Gen 1/TRX MPG figures. Stock Gen 2/3 trucks get 15-19 MPG…I just did 18.9 on a 600 mile trip. You wouldn’t know, because you don’t own a Raptor.
Bingo on the why I am averaging 11ish mpg's :)

Plus I drive it normally and not baby it while driving stop and go traffic with 80ish highway speeds.

I can easily get 15+ combined on crappy 91ACN. but having always driven ethanol tuned vehicles, with the abundance of gas stations that carry e85 where I live and where I work, I chose to solely run an e50 tune.

Bugzuki

Reaction score
I get about 14 mpg in my 2014 F250 Power Stroke empty and between 10 and 12 depending on what I am towing. So comparing that to a similar F250 gas truck I met at a gas station pulling a similar ~29 foot 5th wheel camper he was getting 9 mpg. So the diesel gets a little better but only on an apples to apples comparison. Diesel is also harder to find only one of the two Costco's in the Reno area has diesel. Diesel can also trap water which can cause expensive issues. I think diesel is over rated unless you are going to tow a lot of the time.

Nice write-up and thanks for your service.

Scottx

Full Access Member
Reaction score
19, delivered April 2019, 20,2xxmiles
Had additional ford alarm system dealer installed.
Problems zero, love this truck, only wish I had more places to drive to.
And when you want it’s a raptor beast. Only run mobile hi test and 17ish mpg.

NorCalSteve

Reaction score
I bought a new 2020 about 18 months ago and have racked up 33,000 miles. Absolutely love it and no issues so far. As discussed mileage is not that great but I'm coming from a Tacoma with 33's that didn't really get that much better mileage. The Raptor has so much more power and fun per mile the gas doesn't bother me.

Irritating items of the Raptor are the engine auto-stop and the honking when leaving vehicle running or accessories on while not in car. I've just been too lazy to get Forscan and disable those features. Also I still can't park this thing between the lines... I feel like a ******* sometimes when I get out and see how off I am.

Biggest surprise is how awesome these things do in the snow. I travel between Sacramento and Reno for work and this year we have had some decent snow. I have never driven a car or truck that felt so at ease with ice and snow.

MDJAK

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I will join with the rest and ty for your service. And say that was an excellent writeup. You should be writing for a car magazine.

BTW, that's not a problem, that's an expensive option when the rear view mirror gives you a shower.

Chris retired grunt

Reaction score
I can agree with this I only have a leveling kit on my 18 screw and 35 tires and the least I get is 16.2mpg using Cosco premium. I average at least 17.5 on trips.