17” vs 18” vs 20”

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

coachhomer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
can anyone elaborate on the ride differences on and off road for the three rim sizes? I realize some of it depends on the fire being used but I’d be curious to hear what everyone’s thoughts are on how the rim effects the ride. I am going to get some new rims and tires and not sure which direction to go.

Thanks!

C

SVTTrooper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think you're trying to ask what the differences are between the 3 because your side wall profile will change correct?

you should ask yourself, "what are my goals with tires? are these for show or off road? am I concerned with additional rotating mass and more fuel consumption?" by doing this, then telling us what you planing doing with your truck you'll get more feed back.

I could simply say, 17s because more sidewall is better and 20s are ******* lame lol. but maybe you want 20s? maybe your truck is only driven on pavement? lol

not trying to come across as rude, just give us more information to help guide your decision.

OP
OP
C

coachhomer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I thought the question was pretty specific. On road and off road differences in ride? Not trying to come across rude but don't make it more complicated than it is. Example answer..."I like my 20's because they feel better to me on the interstate than the 17's" Or... "I chose to go with 17's because I predominately go off road and the tire profile is more conducive to off roading."

zombiekiller

OG BooBooRunner
Reaction score
disclaimer: i didn't ride in the truck because i was driving my own truck.

tommy from GAS rolled on 20" 1221 wheels with 37" tires on the last exo run. he was the only one on 20s out of the group.

he hit everything that the rest of us hit. didnt pop a bead, didnt go slow , didnt change a flat and kept on going.

he also had the luxury of being able to boot it on the highway when people like me were getting the jelly feeling of 37s on 17s at 22 psi while taking turns at 70 mph.

do whatever you want, but if you go 20s, the kind that will hold up to serious offroad use are EXTREMELY spendy when you consider that $250 per wheel methods is all you need for the same terrain if you're okay with 17s.

I am not shy about what kind of stupid money that I spend on my truck, but the cost of those 20s on Tommy's truck made my eyes get pretty big.

EricM

FRF Addict
Reaction score
disclaimer: i didn't ride in the truck because i was driving my own truck.

tommy from GAS rolled on 20" 1221 wheels with 37" tires on the last exo run. he was the only one on 20s out of the group.

he hit everything that the rest of us hit. didnt pop a bead, didnt go slow , didnt change a flat and kept on going.

he also had the luxury of being able to boot it on the highway when people like me were getting the jelly feeling of 37s on 17s at 22 psi while taking turns at 70 mph.

do whatever you want, but if you go 20s, the kind that will hold up to serious offroad use are EXTREMELY spendy when you consider that $250 per wheel methods is all you need for the same terrain if you're okay with 17s.

I am not shy about what kind of stupid money that I spend on my truck, but the cost of those 20s on Tommy's truck made my eyes get pretty big.

Comparing a 17" wheel to a 20" wheel when 37" tires are involved is quite a bit different than when you are talking about 35" tires. He only lost a half inch of sidewall, whereas someone running 20" wheels with 35" tires loses 1.5" of sidewall.

zombiekiller

OG BooBooRunner
Reaction score
Comparing a 17" wheel to a 20" wheel when 37" tires are involved is quite a bit different than when you are talking about 35" tires. He only lost a half inch of sidewall, whereas someone running 20" wheels with 35" tires loses 1.5" of sidewall.

:shrug: just sharing an observation. I don't have a dog in this hunt. I run 17s.

Last edited:

RotorHead695

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's preference really. I prefer the squishier sidewalls of the 17s and the way they look. Had 20s on the truck when I bought it and hated the ride. They bounced around over every pothole where the 17s feel more like a Cadillac. Plus...never hurts to shed un-sprung weight.

MEATSWORD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I personally like the idea of 37's on 20's , get the bigger tire and still keep on road driving closer to stock..... makes sense I My head.