1600 Miles Questions and Observations

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jabroni619

FRF Addict
Reaction score
[/COLOR]

This is a little disappointing to hear. I've been pretty impressed with my Gen 1 brakes, even towing a 8000lb trailer! My other car is a track prep'd 1800lb Lotus lol, so I know what good brakes are.

Being that gen 2 is substantially lighter I'd expect it to be much better. Of course it also comes down to grip, braking power and weight distribution..

Google says 60-0 distance on the Gen 2 is 140ft. The gen 1 was ~152ish feet, that's pretty impressive for a fullsize pickup. However the gen1 super cab with 5.4L was 20feet shorter?!:jawdrop:

On my Gen 1 I did have some soft brake symptoms after unhooking the vaccum lines for my IWEs. I thought I had them plugged up good, but I could def tell I wasn't getting full brake assist.

I plotted the total vacuum using the Torque OBDII app and tried messing with the vaccuum lines. I found a slight leak on one of the lines, got a better fitting plug for the end and taped over it with Gorilla tape. AFAIK the Gen 2s use the same vacuum actuated hub system.

Given that these are basically new trucks this is unlikely, but you may want to make sure there isn't a vacuum leak somewhere in the system if it's feeling under powered.

Also I've heard of issues with getting ABS modules bled properly at the factory. Hopefully Ford has this figured out but I've had this issue on a few vehicles. You have to go out and get the ABS system to cycle by doing some beyond threshold braking :evillol: (and give yourself whiplash in the process) OR there are some scan tools you can use to manually cycle the solenoids. This would be the preferred method LOL.

If you're really going to push the truck I would elect to do a total bleed on the system and swap in some better fluid. Castrol SRF is expensive stuff, but we use that in all of our track cars and the stuff lasts forever and makes a huge difference in pedal feel. Torque fluid (if you can still find it) is also a great cheaper alternative.

https://www.amazon.com/Castrol-SRF-Racing-Brake-Fluid/dp/B000JL760C/ref=sr_1_1?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1517167000&sr=1-1&keywords=castrol+srf

I got the super duty pads for my Gen 1 and that also made a large difference on initial bite and fade. Hopefully they'll make these for the Gen 2!

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004SJSF1K/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

You're reading way more into what I said than what was there. I never compared them to Gen 1 brakes. Gen 1 brakes are not any better. If you're happy with Gen 1 brakes you'll be happy with Gen 2 brakes.

rtmozingo

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The brakes are the same as the Gen 1, the pedal response is just slightly different (to give you more granularity). At least, according to Ford and the shop owners I've talked to.