Overpromise, Underdeliver, Blame FoMoCo

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mjolnir

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I heard this morning that my build, scheduled for yesterday, has now moved to February and I should have a delivery date scheduled for me next week.

After trolling for the past couple of weeks this seems like a trend. The dealer blows sunshine up your skirt, then reality sets in and Ford gets the blame.

It looks to me like it's a simple sales tactic used by the dealers to keep you happy, then they get to shift blame when dates don't match up.

Owning a business myself, this strategy is flawed in my opinion and the net result is that the dealer is taking what could be a fanatic customer of theirs and turning it into a purely transactional basis - (gimme my truck, last time I will ever see you).

On the far other end of the spectrum, I have bought some expensive Italian vehicles and not only do they inform you during the build process, they make a photo album of each step and invite you to the factory to see your baby being built.

I think the Raptor is exclusive enough (not in same price as Ford GT, but certainly in same enthusiast circles) that Ford would want to cultivate our passions in hope of building further business.

My dealer is about 45 miles from my house, partly because they would drop the price some, which wasn't that critical in my decision, but more importantly so I could talk to the owner of the dealership and not have to go through the process of talking to sales guy, waiting in his cubicle while he talked to the sales manager and then spend 2 hours doing what should take about 3 minutes to do.

I thought since I had made this connection it would make the process more of a relationship, but getting this news today with no explanation just makes me think it's just another Ford dealership, cheap suits, bad coffee, and vinyl covered customer waiting areas.

Ford could really learn from the Porsche and Ferrari dealers for their SVT lineup. My Porsche dealer will do ALL the mods I want, talking me through good/bad decisions, sponsor track days, invite me to product launches, generally immerse me in the experience of "there is no substitute", Ferrari is much the same.

I know that if Ford can build vehicles as unique as the Raptor and the Ford GT, they can muster the marketing muscle to support their community before and after the purchase.

/rantoff

craigcoram

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Im thinking i saw you ordered dec 16 - thats the same day I ordered. My dealership is clueless and has told me all kind of misinformation. I guess your just going off what your dealer is saying?? I contact svt directly now and get accurate info. Im expecting my truck mid March. Svt says still processing now and should be vind next week. We'll see.

Tejas

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I understand your aggrevation, I went through this same BS on my GT500 before and after delivery, in the end Ford had to eat the car and I'm now left with nasty feeling in my gut about my Raptor as well. So far I haven't had any issues with the Raptor but I did just find out that it had a leak from the bell housing before it ever left the lot and the gasket and pump were replaced at that time. It would have been nice to have that info disclosed to me before I left the dealership with the truck.

I too have bought a few Ducatis and I agree with the service offered throughout the buying process and even after the sell, it's stellar as is that with our Lexus, I don't think I can ever have service better than what Park Place provides to us with our GX. I have been in the market for a Porsche for a few months now and the service provided already by Boardwalk is outstanding and I haven't even put a deposit on anything yet, that phenomenal. In all of these instances I have an immediate greeting by name, I'm offered a drink, asked about my day and family, shown new products and accessories, and allowed in the back or service area to watch my car and others being worked on and I am always offered a quality and sometimes comparable vehicle to use free of charge in case I need to leave.

Ford needs to wake up with their SVT line customers, I've now chosen to own two of their most elite vehicles they make (only thing better would be the GT which is no longer built) and yet I continue to get Joe Nobody- Ford Fiesta level service on all ends of the spectrum. Once my run with the Raptor comes to end I probably won't purchase anymore more vehicles from the big three. The quality of the product and service provided throughout the process with the luxury brands is worth the extra dough IMHO.

The best service I have been provided from a Ford dealership has comemfrom Jimmy at Bankston Ford Frisco, it's been about as good as one could expect from a Ford dealership (which isn't saying much).

treypal

Lord of the Raptors
Reaction score
What all are you looking for in your truck? There are quite a few on the lots down here in South Texas.

STUTIDE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I gotta say that I hear ya on this one and can some what relate to what you are saying. NOONE can explain to me how this Raptor ordering system actually works and how priority status to build dates are given. NO logical explanation. Honestly - a TOTALLY screwed up process and Ford is missing an opportunity with higher end customer relations.

I WILL say that last June I was getting ready for a Raptor and some how found this forum. Right off the bat the guys put me on to Randy (my dealer) and he has delivered WAY BEYOND my expectations. TOTALLY HONEST, upfront and KNOWS his stuff and how all this (every detail) works at Ford. TOTALLY PROFESSIONAL and was gone WAY BEYOND the call of duty in my situation. ALWAYS being proactive on communicatiing and explaining. Without him, I would have been long gone since I ordered mine on August 26 and it is NOW on rail headed my way.

I will also say that the first time I called into Ford to complain, I was handed off to Fords customer relations platform. Instant response and actually acted like they cared. Received a letter from a VP asking me to give her a call since she couldnt find my number. Called her up and she shared in her disappoinment on how my build status had lingered. She ended up giving me a premium maintenance plan for 3 years - pretty awesome gesture especially when I wasnt really that upset.

Yesterday she called me to tell me that my truck had been built and was ready to be shipped and she would follow back up with me next week for an udate. Once my vehicel is purchased she would add the premium plan on to my truck and would personally handle it.

All in all - I really think the wait will be worth it and yes, I would have liked to have my truck in Novemeber BUT 1) My dealer has been INCREDIBLE, 2) the SVT guys have been helpful at the 1800 no 3) This customer relations lady has made me think I did buy a Porsche - Process has not been perfect but I have been pleased with Ford overall. Just a different perspective.

OP
OP
Mjolnir

Mjolnir

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I think I would feel a lot better if they had told me, it's going to take 3 months, or 6 months, and then come in a bit early.

Oh, and as for Boardwalk, Mike Marsh is the GM over there, and I've known him for going on 20 years. I've bought about 10 cars from him over the years and he is about the best car guy I've ever dealt with. If you haven't met him, tell him Peter sent you.

I even tried to buy my Raptor from him, but he couldn't get Ford to play nice.

I'm still super excited (even bought one of the Traxxas models to screw around with), I think I just need to temper my expectations and expect I'll have the truck sometime before June.

Tautog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Comparing Ford dealers to high end car dealers is like being on a different planet, our BMW dealership really knows how to treat folks, nice bagels and star bucks coffee comfy chairs and just a much better experience. Good luck the raptor is worth the wait I waited 3 months and have had it for a month, awesome for a truck.

STUTIDE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Plus - heres the kind of updates I have routinely gotten from Randy:

2012 F-150 - VIN 1FTFW1R68CFA71583
Full History
Status

In Transit Shipped Rail - Railcar # TTGX159707 (Norfolk Southern Corp ) Ramp 58, Melvindale, MI Jan-19-2012, 18:00 ET
Primary Secondary Vehicle Location Status Date / Time ETA
Awaiting Shipment Origin Received - Fd61 (Autoport Limited ) Ramp 59, Dearborn Truck, MI Jan-19-2012, 00:53 ET *Jan-30-2012
Awaiting Shipment Released Ford Dearborn Assembly, MI Jan-18-2012, 00:00 EST *Jan-30-2012
In Production Produced Ford Dearborn Assembly, MI Jan-18-2012, 00:00 EST *Jan-30-2012
In Production Sent to Plant Ford Dearborn Assembly, MI Jan-10-2012, 00:00 EST *Jan-30-2012
In Order Processing Scheduled to Day (Jan-18-2012) Ford Dearborn Assembly, MI Jan-09-2012, 00:00 EST *Jan-30-2012
In Order Processing Scheduled to Week (Week -of Jan-16-2012) Ford Dearborn Assembly, MI Jan-09-2012, 00:00 EST *Jan-30-2012
In Order Processing Scheduled to Day (Jan-17-2012) Ford Dearborn Assembly, MI Jan-06-2012, 00:00 EST *Jan-30-2012
In Order Processing Scheduled to Week (Week -of Jan-16-2012) Ford Dearborn Assembly, MI Jan-06-2012, 00:00 EST *Jan-30-2012
In Order Processing Scheduled to Day (Jan-16-2012) Ford Dearborn Assembly, MI Dec-23-2011, 00:00 EST *Jan-30-2012
In Order Processing Scheduled to Week (Week -of Jan-16-2012) Ford Dearborn Assembly, MI Dec-15-2011, 17:45 EST *Jan-30-2012
In Order Processing Unscheduled- Clean Aug-26-2011, 20:28 EDT

CAbimmer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have been dealing with Classic and Boardwalk for years, customer service is great and they seem to care if you get pissed. I realize that the Ford dealer isnt going to even come close. This Dec. I had to take a friends Dodge 3500 Cummins into service and spent the entire day waiting for them to do some work becuase the got busy doing oil changes and couldnt finish the truck. They had a 30 minute oil change policy and had to put regular service guys on that instead of fixing the truck. then they charge me $2k to change 2 fuel injectors. Nice!

Tejas

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There is a 2012 white SCrew with graphics at the Ford dealer in McKinney, just FYI!

DucatiSPS, I have been working with Dave Balthrop but I will definitely ask to be introduced to Mr. Marsh next time I'm over there. Are you going to the 991 Launch next month?

Tejas