12 2012 Scabs Rock Battle Video

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Quicksand

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The video mixed in with the below article which is also a decent read (AKA link at very bottom) proves 2012 Raptor is (a) far better offroad than '09-'11 models and (b) shows the Scab is yet again more capable than the Screw offroad @ slow speeds (as well as high speeds) b/ NO Screws were used in the offroad test B/C Screws wheel base/suspension travel is to long.

I am most impressed nothing stopped the Raptor...all 12 finished the Moab corse. I think I was slightly disappointed in the wheel spin when in choppy but firm crawling towards the end of the video by multiple trucks. It wasnt bad, I just expected full-on go at 1-2mph with 4x4low making zero tire slippage with the new front torsen. Owell. Mabey a different driver and tires would fix that??

However, I wish these guys could have tested at least ONE (1) Screw just so we knew the limit. I'll bet they would have lost a bumper or surely an exhaust tip!

*So glad I got a Scab! Scabs may have a tad less room and a smaller gas tank than Screws BUT.....Scabs are lighter, stronger, handle better, look better, faster, less gas to fill, less money to pay @ the dealership, more room to park in garage or out in public etc.

Sorry if this vid has already been posted.

My Tuxedo Scab arrives in 3 weeks! REPTAR!!

2012 Ford F-150 SVT Raptor

Maverick

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Rock crawling is boring. Would rather haul ass on the open desert than scratch my mirrors, step and exhaust tips.

puddle hunter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Considering the capabilities of the Raptor line in general, the Scab beating the Screw is no huge accomplishment...especially since the Scab's major points, come from its size difference.

SCelebs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
so i'm slow to reading up on the new stuff since i kinda already have a raptor but.... what's this epa 16 hwy figure I just read about? What did these guys change? I'll take it.

OP
OP
Quicksand

Quicksand

Full Access Member
Reaction score
so i'm slow to reading up on the new stuff since i kinda already have a raptor but.... what's this epa 16 hwy figure I just read about? What did these guys change? I'll take it.

Ford tuned the engine to get the extra 2mpg. Not sure what exactly was done but probably a mix in gear ratio/engine tuning. I'm sure someone has the answer on here.

It also says in fine print on my sticker right underneath 16mpg that normal driving should actually result in more like 19mpg+ Hwy--n a beef'd up 6.2.........AWESOME!

I may one day need to rock crawl in my Rap. I will also need the front torsen when @ high elevation/snow/ice via S.W. Colorado.

However, I like most will be using it's Baja design moreso where I live in the So-Cal Desert. I will get more Desert Running use out of my Raptor than 90% of owners out there. Period. Nor do I want to beat up my brand new custom built just for me 50K+ truck! I'll go buy a quad, Razor or a twin engine jet-boat if I need to really abuse something.

I just thought it was cool seeing 12 2012 Scabs tearin it up together. I agree, the rock isn't worth brusing up the underbelly. Stupid.

It's good to know Scabs can go the distance whenever & wherever needed. *That makes it a better design than the Screw.

Haha--The Screw was invented so married guys could fially convince their wives to let 'em get one! At least it worked! :waytogo:

Maverick

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah I prefer the scab too. Much cooler. I prefer the crew for the Super Duties but the Rap scab looks more bad ass than the screw.

Humvee21

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The scab isn't necessarily a better design than the screw. There are pros and cons for both. It just so happens that the longer wheel base/length (why did you say suspension travel?) is worse for most offroad scenarios.

I could argue that if you needed the extra space for cargo then the screw is an obvious better "design." And not to mention, the added towing capability AND payload.

There are offroad scenarios where I can see the screw is better. For example, the grade is extremely steep but only so high. This means that you could maintain at least one of the two rear wheels on the flatter surface as the two front wheels are being pushed over such obstacle. However, there is a greater possibility of being high centered.

It's not a matter of which "design" is better or worse... it's personal preference.

Wasn't it that the rollover/side crash rating for the screw is better? Uh-oh...

MikeD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wanted the Scab but had to get the Screw due to our 6 month old baby and not wanting to have my wife 3 inches from the dash in the Scab. I also like the ride in the Screw a little better and can fit my dogs crate in the back seat.

Blukrom

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The crew cab is great for kids and adults, lots of room. My 04 was really easy to get our little guy in and out with the regular doors. We also have an FJ with the suicide doors in the back and it was a real PIA getting the kid or people in and out in a parking lot. You are trapped between the doors.