A Few Questions...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Nick@Apollo-Optics

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
1. What is the point of Amber lights vs. White lights? I understand that yellow (3500K) is brighter than pure (~4500-5000K), but what is the point of amber? I can't figure it out.

2. What is the difference between a euro, spot, and flood light? I understand what the flood and spot beam patterns are; but I'm curious as to what the euro beam does.

3. Is a flood light the same as a fog light?

Thanks fellas.

BOJANGLES

<span style="color: red;"><b>Administrator</b></sp
Supporting Member
Reaction score
To answer # 1 The reason I run a white bar + duallies and then a separate amber bar is because they function differently when offroading at night. I use white for distance and clarity, but the amber is good for cutting through the dust of other trucks (and your own). Amber performs well in fog too.

Madcowranch

Genetically Modified
Reaction score
Per Ryan at SDHQ, Euro beam is like a spot beam but without the blind spot in the middle.

OP
OP
Nick@Apollo-Optics

Nick@Apollo-Optics

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
To answer # 1 The reason I run a white bar + duallies and then a separate amber bar is because they function differently when offroading at night. I use white for distance and clarity, but the amber is good for cutting through the dust of other trucks (and your own). Amber performs well in fog too.
Very interesting. Thanks for the info. I always wondered what the amber was really for. Thanks for the info.

Per Ryan at SDHQ, Euro beam is like a spot beam but without the blind spot in the middle.

What do you mean by the blind spot?

CineSLR

Roaming Shutterbug
Reaction score
Hmmm... I was always under the impression that a Euro beam was a mixture of the spot and flood. IE half of the filter is diffused and the other half is clear for distance.

Per some jeep website...

A Eurobeam or Driving beam is used with your high beams. The pattern is conical, flattened at the top and bottom and about 110-120 degrees wide. Useful at 2000-2500 feet. DOT requires that driving lights be wired so that they go off when your low beams come on.

A pencil is just that - a very long, narrow beam - very specialized. Used for rally in conjunction with other lamps and used for desert racing but with at least a dozen on a vehicle. Will light a reflector at two miles. Not useful unless you have a lot of them. DOT requires that pencil driving lights be wired so that they go off when your low beams come on.

Looks like I was right...

NO, they are not the same. I don't care how many rigid fan boys tell you different. Fog lights have to be DOT legal by design. Real fog lights are designed to light up nothing but the road directly in front of you. In dense fog even your headlights can be too high up and will create nothing but glare. This is where fog lights come in, they light up nothing but the ground in front of the vehicle and off to the side. To function properly they have to be positioned as low/close to the ground as possible and are generally aimed under your headlights (hence them being dot legal). In the us fog lights have become more of a fashion statement since they really don't do much for you unless your driving through pea soup. High dollar LED lights that have multiple elements will never be true fog lights because they would have to baffle every LED. For them its just not worth the investment when most of what they are doing is making their lights less efficient. It also seems their customers don't have problems driving with them on as fog lights so why bother? Floods are a better light and will throw a lot more light but they will not be usable with your low beams. If its a fashion statement your going for (there is no problem with that, you might not live in a place that allows you to use your high beams much) then I would get the spots and aim them at the ground. So far I have only seen one thread about a guy getting a ticket for his duallies being too bright.

OP
OP
Nick@Apollo-Optics

Nick@Apollo-Optics

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Awesome guys...Thanks for all the info. When I do get my Raptor...I want to run two sets of duallies in the edges of the front bumper (one amber set, one white set) and a 20" LED bar in the lower grille. Maybe....also 4 HID's on a light bar...But I don't know about that yet.