Curved Light Bar Behind Grille

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Sinraptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I thought about doing a light bar at top of my windshield like a 50 inch or 52 inch but with all the complaints about noise doing 60+ mph i think i might look into behind the grille mounted. I like the look of the curved light bars and was wonder if i could mount a curved light bar behind the grille? If so, could i use either a 30 or 40 inch? What type of brackets or wiring/wiring harness would i need? I would prefer bottom of the grille but would do the top if i needed. How hard is the mounting process or are their any instructions written up? Thanks in advance.

RaptorScrew

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I thought about doing a light bar at top of my windshield like a 50 inch or 52 inch but with all the complaints about noise doing 60+ mph i think i might look into behind the grille mounted. I like the look of the curved light bars and was wonder if i could mount a curved light bar behind the grille? If so, could i use either a 30 or 40 inch? What type of brackets or wiring/wiring harness would i need? I would prefer bottom of the grille but would do the top if i needed. How hard is the mounting process or are their any instructions written up? Thanks in advance.

My first question is "What's the point" and by that I mean - wouldn't the grill itself prevent any light that would normally shine out to the sides be stopped by the mesh in the grill and instead push that same stream of light forwards - making the radius bar kind of useless?

(...this makes sense in my head but doesn't look right on paper)

OP
OP
S

Sinraptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I totally understand what you are saying and that has crossed my mind of wouldnt the light hit the sides of the grille mesh (what you would see if you was standing to the side of your grille) instead of hitting through the holes of the grille. That's why i asked to see if anyone had any problems with them.

BearLeeAsian

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I had two 30s behind the grill. It was curved and it bolted (you have to drill holes) to the metal supports behind the grill.

Switched to 40s on the bumper.

I suggest putting a 20 on the bottom of your bumper (if you have stock) because the amount of light from the 30s I had would be similar to one 20" on the outside

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dane

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Not sure if this helps or not, but regarding your sound concern at 60+. My buddy has a light bar (40" or 50", I forget, doesn't matter) at the top of his windshield and had the annoying whistle. While he was driving I poked my hand out there and could tell what was vibrating (fins on the back). He put some of that rubber door trim across the offending fin and the problem has since been solved.

Could it cause cooling problems? Maybe, in theory, but it's been a non-issue for a couple years now.

Jimbo

Mad Frog Mattis
Reaction score
Most windshield light bars have the rubber insulators coming standard now (I know Rigid's do for sure)...

KaiserM715

Kaiser Söze
Reaction score
My first question is "What's the point" and by that I mean - wouldn't the grill itself prevent any light that would normally shine out to the sides be stopped by the mesh in the grill and instead push that same stream of light forwards - making the radius bar kind of useless?

(...this makes sense in my head but doesn't look right on paper)
The testing I did at TRR last year shows that the light output gets cut in half when it is put behind the grille. Food for thought.

OP
OP
S

Sinraptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for all the feedback i do appreciate it. I'm gonna keep researching and see how i truly feel about what i am needing and what i am willing use and what seems to be best for my truck.

LittlEvil

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I put a curved 30 in the upper grill and a straight 40 in the lower grill. Output is definitely reduced but it does keep the thieves from steeling them. At least a lot harder for them to steel. Im happy with the set up and I get enough light for what my usage is for.