Maximum coverage : fog lights or behind the grille

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

shigman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had this for a while too as I --- s l o w l y --- over the course of many a Black Friday sale.

OP is in Dubai, and he’s talking about Raptoring in the desert, not Deseret... ;-)
Right now, I’m here:

View attachment 440013

If I were campaigning some sort of high temperature sand shenanigans, I’d be pulling that S8. I like it because the light is up higher and not as easily obstructed. In terms of light, the XL80’s wash out the S8 light. The squadrons are all aimed for very close zones. The LP9’s are bright on another level.
What sorta LP9s are those? Ugh i didn’t need to see that picture. Lol

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
LP9 spots. h/t to @4x4TruckLEDs.com

You did need to see that picture. in fact, because I can tell you’re lùsting over those LP9’s here it is again.
IMG_6296.jpg

See how mesmerizing they are? You can appreciate the symmetry as well as the shiny black coating on the outside of the lights. Notice the 18 different reflections, yet they’re all strikingly similar?

You want a pair for yourself, I can tell.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
my bad - LP9 spot pros

before, I had a set of LP4’s in the same position. The light pushes out further than my eyes can process significant data. I could spot larger items out to .6 mile - maybe more but that’s the longest straight convenient to me with some identifiable features close by. The LP9’s can do this alone. And brighter.

Tax refund should be coming soon. Just sayin’

Baja Designs

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Hello everyone ,

As a desert driver , I would like to ensure that I install the best lights for maximum coverage .

I've been debating between BD s8 30inch behind the grille and BD fog light kit ( driving /spot /wide ) or maybe 2 driving and one spot.

What are your thoughts ? Higher is better ?

Thank you for sharing your thoughts .

If you want the best that is why we are here. S8 30 vs an FPk which is better?

Ford S8 30 Inch Grille Upper Light Bar Kit
Price: $1,054.95
Lumens: 19,050

Ford Squadron/S2 Sport Fog Pocket Light Kit
Price: $1,081.95
Lumens: 15,810

S8 would provide more light but will have less adjustment and play compared to the Fog Pocket kit. If you are trying to achieve a slick and low-profile look the S8 will be your best bet. If you want to achieve the OEM look and have more adjustability then the fog pocket is what you are looking for.
Best,

Brahian Herrera | Forum Sales & Support
Email: [email protected] | Phone: (760) 560-2252 Ext 201

shigman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
my bad - LP9 spot pros

before, I had a set of LP4’s in the same position. The light pushes out further than my eyes can process significant data. I could spot larger items out to .6 mile - maybe more but that’s the longest straight convenient to me with some identifiable features close by. The LP9’s can do this alone. And brighter.

Tax refund should be coming soon. Just sayin’
Yeah my eyes suck and even at .6 miles at 80 mph thats 27 seconds of reaction time/data. So basically what you’re saying is, two LP9 combo pros is all any of these trucks need period. I would do spots, but there are deer around here.

Baja Designs

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Any thoughts on A pillar lights? My only grip with that location is you can get a bit of reflection off the hood. A set of XL80s or LP4-6s are pretty common choices. The nice thing about that spot is the fine tuning of aim and the elevated location can really throw the light out there. This are no other lights on than the XL80s.

View attachment 439973

Due to the placement of the light, some light glare in the hood is unavoidable. Our Spot Lens would largely minimize the glare and I would highly recommend it especially if you don't plan on using it as a cornering light.
Best,

shigman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Due to the placement of the light, some light glare in the hood is unavoidable. Our Spot Lens would largely minimize the glare and I would highly recommend it especially if you don't plan on using it as a cornering light.
Best,
Yeah it would, but I like a little spread. The matte black hood graphics actually help a lot with that.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
khunter