Maximum coverage : fog lights or behind the grille

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bu3askoor

Reaction score
Hello everyone ,

As a desert driver , I would like to ensure that I install the best lights for maximum coverage .

I've been debating between BD s8 30inch behind the grille and BD fog light kit ( driving /spot /wide ) or maybe 2 driving and one spot.

What are your thoughts ? Higher is better ?

Thank you for sharing your thoughts .

shigman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Any thoughts on A pillar lights? My only grip with that location is you can get a bit of reflection off the hood. A set of XL80s or LP4-6s are pretty common choices. The nice thing about that spot is the fine tuning of aim and the elevated location can really throw the light out there. This are no other lights on than the XL80s.

1705009695194.png

Last edited:

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
THIS
If you’re in the desert, I’d suggest you avoid ANYTHING in front of the radiator! ! !
A pillar mounted XL80s are great so long as you’re in front. However, if you’re not leading the pack, the view never changes...

You’ll get a windshield full of really bright dust.

For that issue I’d suggest some low mounted squadrons for the pockets on the front bumpers. You might even think 2x amber spots and a driving combo. The thing about the combo or wide corner lens, they’re very hard to aim to keep the beam low. You can aim the 2x spots on each side slightly differently; one set pushing out further, and straight, another set closer in and a little outboard. You want a little bit of distance but not too much. If the conditions are dusty or even white out snow, or similar, the a pillar lights are worthless. At that point, speed is not your concern, safety is.

OP
OP
B

Bu3askoor

Reaction score
@shigman @smurfslayer

Thank you both.

Both suggestions make sense . Being a jeep owner for so many years , rest assured that I have every combination you can think of lol. Yes those cheap Chinese lights make you do wonders .

I was hoping to keep things look as stock as possible .

Last time I checked on the xl80s, they were pretty $$$.

Again , thank you both

shigman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
^^ Yeah the dust following someone makes pillar lights useless… the bumper pocket lights are the only thing that help you see at night in heavy dust. If you’re by yourself or in the lead the XL 80s are an absolute weapon.

Yes the XL80s are expensive…but honestly you only need a couple of them. That pic i posted is only 2 lights on a pretty dark road in the rain.

2slo4u

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I ran pocket lights and the s8 30” in Baja in my Gen 2. Had no problems. Pocket lights were driving combo in clear and Amber, wide cornering in the smaller 3rd light. I did clear in the middle with amber on the two side with the S8. Threw a ton of light and could see fine in the dark. No overheating issues

I might be the odd man out as I had XL80’s on the A pillar the first trip and didn’t like them. Took them off and sold them when I got back

Attachments

• IMG_0449.jpeg
    IMG_0449.jpeg
    209.2 KB · Views: 23

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
I ran pocket lights and the s8 30” in Baja in my Gen 2. Had no problems. Pocket lights were driving combo in clear and Amber, wide cornering in the smaller 3rd light. I did clear in the middle with amber on the two side with the S8. Threw a ton of light and could see fine in the dark. No overheating issues

I might be the odd man out as I had XL80’s on the A pillar the first trip and didn’t like them. Took them off and sold them when I got back
I had this for a while too as I --- s l o w l y --- over the course of many a Black Friday sale.

OP is in Dubai, and he’s talking about Raptoring in the desert, not Deseret... ;-)
Right now, I’m here:

IMG_6296.jpg

If I were campaigning some sort of high temperature sand shenanigans, I’d be pulling that S8. I like it because the light is up higher and not as easily obstructed. In terms of light, the XL80’s wash out the S8 light. The squadrons are all aimed for very close zones. The LP9’s are bright on another level.

OP
OP
B

Bu3askoor

Reaction score
^^ Yeah the dust following someone makes pillar lights useless… the bumper pocket lights are the only thing that help you see at night in heavy dust. If you’re by yourself or in the lead the XL 80s are an absolute weapon.

Yes the XL80s are expensive…but honestly you only need a couple of them. That pic i posted is only 2 lights on a pretty dark road in the rain.
They look amazing .

OP
OP
B

Bu3askoor

Reaction score

Now that I am thinking about this more, most of my driving is across sand dunes and not in a striaght line. So dust is not an issue.

I think a higher positioned light is what I should go for first on this raptor.

Just wondering if the s8 would really block air flow as much am I am imagining . Need to look into that. Also XL80s seems like a good option as well.

Thank you all

I will ask few friends p

4x4TruckLEDs.com

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Hello everyone ,

As a desert driver , I would like to ensure that I install the best lights for maximum coverage .

I've been debating between BD s8 30inch behind the grille and BD fog light kit ( driving /spot /wide ) or maybe 2 driving and one spot.

What are your thoughts ? Higher is better ?

Thank you for sharing your thoughts .

Well they serve two purposes.

A fog kit will give you ON STREET use and OFF ROAD use. Or you can go with 100% off-road. But it'll only be good for things LOW, because the lights are LOW. That means they'll light up a lot in front of you but not so much down the road (compared to a 30" Bar)

The benefit to our fog kits is that we let you CHOOSE which lights you want, and we provide our USA Made Stainless Steel Brackets and our KILLER wiring harness (pretty much plug and play)

1705080600195.png

Now the 30" Bar is great to light up things down the road/path. It'll throw that light a LOT further but it's not going to be street legal. A lot of folks add this on after they do the fogs. They do the fogs first then come back later for the 30" bar.

1705080580574.png

Here is another option for you. Our Behind the Grill Kit.

This works on Gen2 and Gen3 Raptors. It'll let you pick/choose what lights you want. Now that 30" bar is going to go further of course since it's a friggin 30" bar. But the benefit to a behind the grill kit is now you can have multiple patterns. So maybe a set of spot for down range but some wide cornering for up close.

1705080564779.png

We do offer A-Pillar kits also (and they have a little bit of a discount built in which is nice)

Rausch1.jpg

Check out our site or shoot me a message when you are ready to pull the trigger. We're one of Baja Designs biggest dealers and maintain a good amount of inventory at our own warehouse. We also own the KR Off-Road brand, which focuses on 100% american made/stainless steel products to help mount lights to your truck.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
khunter